Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

TST or Smarty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 AM
MauiRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TST or Smarty?

So what should I go with, the TST or the Smarty? I hear the smarty won't leave any traces and seems like a pretty easy install(just plug and play right?) But on the other hand theTST is able to grow with my mods. I am going to upgrade my tranny later on down the road but that won't be for a while. Oh, I also ordered some 6" mitre cut stacks the other day from parleysdieselperformance.com and they should arrive in about two weeks. Can't wait to get them installed.anyways, so which will it be guys?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:29 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: TST or Smarty?

ORIGINAL: MauiRam

So what should I go with, the TST or the Smarty? I hear the smarty won't leave any traces and seems like a pretty easy install(just plug and play right?) But on the other hand theTST is able to grow with my mods. I am going to upgrade my tranny later on down the road but that won't be for a while. Oh, I also ordered some 6" mitre cut stacks the other day from parleysdieselperformance.com and they should arrive in about two weeks. Can't wait to get them installed.anyways, so which will it be guys?
If your truck has a build date of 6/06 or later, you can't use the TST. If it was built before then you're good to go. Both boxes work together well. The Smarty gives you lots of bottom end power and the TST on the top end. You won't grow out of the Smarty or TST.

If I were you, I'd start out with the smarty. Once you've built up some supporting mods, then the TST would be nice to add in the mix. The TST is a great box but, it delivers it power violently and without certain mods, you could cause some serious damage.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
MauiRam

Thanks Triton. So how do I know if my truck was built before 6/06? Is there a sticker somewhere that shows it?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:51 PM
MauiRam

I think I probably will go with the Smarty and later add the TST but does anyone know how I can tell if my truck was built before 6/06?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look on the drivers door.. .you should see manufacturing date on there somewhere.

and I will agree with Triton there. . .the TST is more top end. my bottom end does suffer a bit, however anything over 1800 and it is bawls to the freaking walls. . .I just need a bit more on the lower end.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

its amazing how our search option works i was just going to make a thread like this but i figured i would search first and here she was! im looking to sell my little box's (quad xzt and powerpuck) and put the money into a smarty but i just found a local used tst for 450 that im sure i could of gotten cheaper thru an offer if i called but im gonna stick to my guns and go for the smarty.

now i just gotta hope the tax returns could come sooner than later

Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Drew
Professional

watch it now. . .the TST smarty stack is quite. . .well. . .crazy.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:19 PM
burban2002
Veteran

Drew, if you're gonna make such a bold statement, I'm gonna need some proof

Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Drew
Professional

come on down to GA and I'll show ya

or you can ask Chris NcCummins SW#4 and 4/2 gets quite interesting

Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

lol, im looking to get the smarty first and as far as stacking goes..... well.... im gonna have to stack some big money befor any chip stacking begins

Quick Reply: TST or Smarty?