Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Question for computer experts ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for computer experts ??

I've got a Dell laptop that I use all the time. The battery is dead as a doornail, butI use my laptop plugged in all the time anyway so it's no biggie.

HOWEVER

Since my battery died, my computer seems slow as a slug. Maybe it's just a coincedence, I dunno, but here's my question ...

If my battery is dead ( I mean the second I unplug my computer, it will shut off ), will it effect my computer even though I have it plugged in?

Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Question for computer experts ??

It should't

Old 08-17-2007, 03:36 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

It will affect your computer. I don't know that I would go as far as it affecting your performance, but with computers, you never know.

We use Dell laptops at work and a few people I work with had their batteries die and randomly it would shut off and restart.Don't remember them complaining of it being slow though.

Not sure if that helped, but that's what I've seen

Old 08-17-2007, 03:41 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

IIRC, dell had a batter recall too... some batteries were catching on fire/exploding. I'd yank the battery and run it w/o it and see how it does.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 PM
timesublime
Veteran

Some of these laptops have fairly powerful battery monitoring software built in, so maybe the dead battery is causing the CPU to bog down due to the software howling in the background. Have you looked at what processes are running in the background?

Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

got FRYS ELECTRONICS near by??? go buy a new battery!!!

in the mean time, run full diagnostics: disk cleanup, antivirus, anti spyware, dump all the temp files...defrag and reboot.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 PM
pngmotoman
Rookie

yup change the battery wifes was having the same problem. Also didnt help when i surfed the web for what it was really meant for [sm=lildevil.gif]

Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: timesublime

maybe the dead battery is causing the CPU to bog down due to the software howling in the background. Have you looked at what processes are running in the background?
OK, lemme kinda re-phrase the question a bit ....

I'm dumb, and I know NOTHING about computers !! I have NO CLUE what " running in the background" means.

I know how to turn it on, surf the web, email stuff, store and retrieve pictures ( TONS of pics ... )and that's about it. I don't store files ( knowingly ) or anything like that.I don't do my banking, spreadsheets ( whatever they are ) or any of that crap, JUST the basics.

So .... would having a dead battery slow me down ??

BTW: I do know how to defrag and I've done that. No change ...

Old 08-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/

See if yours is affected, I know my brothers was and it was getting overly hot before the recall and he removed it. A couple weeks later they said they were catching fire...

Old 08-17-2007, 06:10 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Okay, for starters, you should go to Dell's website and see if your battery is one listed in the recall. If it is, you should be getting a free replacement....

Secondly, a dead battery can cause issues with an older laptop. The battery tries to charge, but the battery is damaged so it keeps pushing the charge back into the pc. I'd recommend yanking the battery all together. It'll suck for you if the power goes out, but it should fix the issue. Something else I'd recommend is trying to defragment your computer. Over time, your computer gets all jumbled up internally....and it needs to be sorted thru. This can cause your PC to run slower as well.

Think of the harddrive inside your computer as a big bucket of legos. Everytime you open a program, browse a website, turn the computer on.....it's like kicking lego's all over the floor. Now, everytime you do something, your computer is looking for specific files and information. Look around the room at all the legos on the floor......now try to build a house with just red legos. You have to go hunting all over the floor. That's the same thing your computer has to do. Defragmenting your computer is like putting all the legos in piles by color and making it faster to search/access.

Quick Reply: Question for computer experts ??