Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CEL/MIL Code, is it a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CEL/MIL Code, is it a problem?

ORIGINAL: Drew

unhooking the battery doesnt work on these computers. they have non-volitile memory to retain this type of info. only eracing them with an OBDII of 5 full starts will get rid of the code.
Good info, I'd be pretty pi$$ed if I kept unhooking my battery and re-setting my radio pre-sets several times just to find out it ain't gonna work anyway

Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
chukar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it went away today. I know that it has been way more than 5 full starts (if a full start means turning the key on, firing it up, and driving it). I didn't keep track of how many times I drove it since it came on, but all is good as it went away.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this out the hard way as well. . .monkying under the hood and forgot to hook the IAT back up. . .code came up, disconnected the batteries for the better part of 3hrs and it dodnt go away. I later learned about the design of the brain box and how it retains codes and parameters.

infact there is enough memory in the computer of the HPCR's that it will remember what the engine was doing a few seconds before a catastophic failure. basicaly the computer will tattle on you, unless your like USAFR and completely nuke the thing black.

2nd gen 24 valves the battery trick works on I believe, however that computer doest save any info like the HPCR's do.

also the 6.7's have even more memory for saving parameters, and the computer also processes info about 5x faster than the 5.9's computer.

Quick Reply: CEL/MIL Code, is it a problem?