Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Off Topic: Sirius radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
NJ Diesel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Topic: Sirius radio reception

I have Sirius radio in my 99 Ram with the 2" round magnetic antenna on the roof center. The line is not pinched or broken and all connections are tight. My reception in the morning especially 4-5 am gets spotty with poor signal quality. This afternoon was terrible, but there were low clouds due to the rains in the NorthEast. I had satillitte TV for years so I know about weather issues. The house dock and antenna is always solid. Just wondering if anyone else has issues with car Siriusreception in the northeast specifially NJ?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Default RE: Off Topic: Sirius radio reception

I'm not in the NE (actually in the NW) but my Sirus reception was so bad I canceled it. I had XM for 4 years and never had this many issues. I'd stop at a stop light and there would be trees around and I'd loose everything.

I personally just don't think Sirus has as many or high quality as XM.

Maybe if the merger is allowed service will get better.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:54 PM
clhaney

I am in Houston, TX and have had no problems with my Sirius reception. The only timeI loose it is whenI am under a 6+ lane overpass. I recently drove from here to Red River, NM and didn't loose it at all. I thought I had a reception problem at one time and discovered that the problem was putting my cell phone in one of the cubby holes close to the radio.

2006 5.9 CTD, 4x4, auto, heavy duty, Lonestar pkg.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

The issue is the antenna itself. You have the Dot Micro, yes? These antennas are ****, especially with all the rain we've had this week. I had the same problem on Monday driving to AC. I got NO reception until the antenna was thoroughly dried out. I have 3 Sirius radios and the one that uses the Dot Micro is the only one that gets poor reception in weather like this. Fortunately, I have an extra square antenna from Kenwood that I can swap out. Get yourself one of the aftermarket antennas for a few bucks and ditch the Dot Micro. You'll be much happier. And if you have time, take the Dot Micro and pry off the top and look at the insides. You'll see lots of corrosion in there.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Bigriver

I have a stock 06' model radio with Sirius radio. Occasionally I'll get an intermentant break in the signal, but for no longer than a second orso. I understand that sun spots or solar flares screws with sattilite reception sometimes. As for my type of antenna?..........if it ain't broke........don't fix it !

Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I have XM no problems other then headin east/west or west/east on cut lines with real tall trees!!

Old 08-23-2007, 01:16 AM
hatchy

Sirius needs more land-based transmitters. Coverage sucks as night, when the birds are further away. I'd call them and let them know.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 AM
bwrong
Rookie

Sirius SUCKS. I have both XM and Sirius. No problems at all with XM but Sirius is always droping for a second.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:00 AM
jrlaidle
Rookie

I mounted my dot micro antenna with a piece of double sided tape to the dash as far forward as it would go then ran the wire between the dash and the windshield. Keeps it dry and no chance of pinching wires. Plus it is so descrete, hardly anyone ever notices it. Only time I loose reception is under big overpasses, other than that, I have had no problems

Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM
CutterW
Captain

I have Sirius and would get 4in. of snow on top of my receptor and worked fine. I never had trouble with mine. I had a friend with XM who hated it, specially when he road with me cause I never could lose reception.

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Sirius radio reception