Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fan Blower

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 PM
reedracers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Blower

2004 ram 3500 the fan just quit. I replaced the blower motor resistor and also just replaced the blower, any suggestions ? Other symptoms that I have noticed are : before it stopped working the snowflake would not light up unless the fan was running as well as the recirc light now they come on whenever pushed regardless that the fan isn't running.
There is power down to the fan motor , fuse is good . Does anyone know how hard is it to change the control system ? Is it a card or individual components ? any and all help will be greatly appreciated the warranty just expired and I don't want to have to put it in the stealer they have already ripped me for 220 something bucks ( no returns on electrical items)
anyway thanks in advance
Dwayne

Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fan Blower

The control system is simple to change. Remove the screw(#3 below)above the hook to the right of the AC controls. Then pull off the large bezel (#2 below). Just pull on the hook and the bezel will come off. The control head is held on with 4 screws. Find a friend with the same year truck and borrow his control headas a test piece.

Hope this helps.

BTW about the dealer ripping you off. The were high on the parts prices but you can't expect them to let you throw guesses at a fix. Noone gives refunds on eletrical parts. If you went in there and asked for a part, its not their fault if you misdiagnosed the problem. The parts should have cost about $95.00 for the blower motor and $63.00 for the resistor. If they advised you that this would fix the problem, then they should have refunded your money.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

electrical trouble shootin is always from the hip. sometimes you replace everything..till ya hit the $2.59 part at the end after sinkin $500 into it..

Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 PM
reedracers

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed reply and yes it was the parts manager at my local dealership that directed me at first to the resistorand then the blower, I took his word for it and no there won't be a refund coming. Oh well live and learn are the control heads expensive ?I'm the only newer Dodge truck owner in my circle of friends.
thanks again
Dwayne

Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are actually 4 different part numbers for a control head on a 2004, depends on which options you have. They range from $110.00 to $230.00. 9 out of 10 times when the resistor is bad the blower will work on high only. PM me your VIN and I can tell you the part number that you need and give you a price. I know that you might not wanna hear it, but you could probally have saved money if you let the dealer diagnosis the problem. Then you could have bought the part and fixed it yourself. We charge 1 hour to tell you what is wrong. If you let us fix it, we waive the 1 hour fee and only charge you for the actual repair. A good parts guy would have tried to get you let his techs diag the problem, then sell you the part. That should have saved you money. BTW if you do let them diag the problem and are going to let them fix the problem make sure they waive the diag time.One more thing., if you do let them fix it, make them tell you what part you need. Then go over to the parts dept and buy it over the counter. Then take it to the service guy and and let them install it and tell them that you want to pay for the labor seperate. If you buy it over the counter and then let them install it you get a 12 month unlimited milage warranty. If you don't buy it over the counter and you pay for the labor and part at the same time, you get a 12 month 12,000 milage warranty. Hope I'm helping you see that not all dealers are alike. Some of us do like to help with no expectation of something in return. I try to help here and don't get paid for it. I just do it to be nice. KARMA

Quick Reply: Fan Blower