Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

dangit Dangit DANGIT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:33 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dangit Dangit DANGIT!!!

Why does my intercooler boot keep blowing off??? I was towing a 9k tractor and going up a 4% grade the dang thing blows off. I checked the quadzilla because it logs the high and low values for each monitored sensor and the highest it got to was 21PSI on the boost. I pulled over and put it back on, clamp it down so tight that I thought I was going to break the clamp, went 2 miles down the road and the SOB blows off again! This time only 18 PSI on the quadzilla. I limped a few miles to my destination unloaded the tractor, put the boot on yet again and this time, it won't blow off. I got the PSI up to 26PSI for a long period of time, trying to get it to blow off and it won't. Yes I'm happy it won't come off, but I can't have it blowiing off just for the heck of it. Drive your truck with 0 boost and see how much fun it is to pull over and fix it.

I know the waste gate is not messed up because it blew off at 21 and 18 psi. I would suspect that the PSI ratings would have been much higher if the wastegate had stuck closed. There is nothing wrong with the boot, it looks to be ok and is the original boot and clamp.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Default RE: dangit Dangit DANGIT!!!

This may help. I just found out that I had code P0217 in the computer, but no CEL light came on. I never felt the truck de-fuel and since there was no CEL, there is no telling how long that code has been in there or if it is even relevant to the intercooler boot issue. The temp was 102 outside when the boot kept blowing off.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well now. . .thats interesting. . . . . .have you checked the ends for oil???

Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Yes I pulled the boot completely off and wiped it down on the inside. Also wiped off the pipe from the turbo. There was no oil, just a little soot on the turbo pipe.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

maybe you need to take some sandpaper to the inlet of the cooler to rough it up so it gets a better bite when you install the hose. I'd also rough up the inside of the hose a little...

edit... and change the clamp... I bet it's weak...

Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I thought you went with those silicone boots Bob ??

Old 08-23-2007, 05:09 PM
refloyd
Rookie

I had the same kind of problem with my old 12 valve.(45psi boost) Next time you take it off clean it real good along with the pipe, let it dry, then use some hairspray to lube the pipe so that the hose slides on easily and when the hairspray dries it will help hold the hose on there. also get some good constant tension hose clamps. Try this site for good prices on these clamps. http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CTCT

Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Morse

Baby powder also works...

Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I have not gone with the silicone boots because I don't know if they will blow off too. I just can spend $225 for 4 boots and a clamp. I have done plenty of looking on the internet and unfortunately that seems to be the best price for 4 boots.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I guess I should have looked at refloyd's link before that last post. Looks like they get the award for the resonable price for the hump hoses and clamps.

Quick Reply: dangit Dangit DANGIT!!!