Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

WTB - 5th Wheel Slider Hitch...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
SoNauty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB - 5th Wheel Slider Hitch...

Is anyone selling or know of someone selling a 5th wheel slider hitch
that I can stuff in the back of my shortbed dodge pickem up for towing a
camper trailer? Rated @ 16k or so. Since I have a shortbed it needs to
be a slider.

Which hitch should i go with? What should I look for? How much (if i go with new) am i looking at spending?

Thx guys!

seanspeer@***.net

Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
sharx ram
Champion
Default RE: WTB - 5th Wheel Slider Hitch...

Well, look who decided to grace us with thier presents....hummm...where ya been brotha?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

Do yuo already have the 5th wheel RV yet/ Before I bought mine I sarched the web for hitches and found the one I wanted and got a good price. When I negotiated for the trailer, I told the saleperson the price and asked thay match it, which they did. I bought the Reese Signature Series 16K with the detachable rails, but I can't recall how much it was.
There are also several such as the Pullrite that have the automated slide feature where you don't have to think about getting out and engaging the slide. More expensive though.

Don't let anyone tell you you don't need the slider - you will eventually.
Regards, Glenn

BTW, I noticed you have the skyjacker 6" lift. That might pose a problem with clearance with the sides of your pickup bed - check that closely before proceeding, you probalbly want at least 4-6 inches of clearance.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:43 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

I personallychose to not go witha slider hitch in my short bed ram. I talked to all the peopleI could find who were towing with short beds.. some had sliders and others didn't.. but the oneswho had them said they "never" used them.. unanimously.. (even anRV dealership that tows 5ers all the time) I have yet to be in a situation where I've needed to be at a 90° angle.. because of the hitch adapter kit.. my pin is 2" behind the axle which gives me a little more room anyway.. I just keep a closeeye onthings..

Of course it's personal preference.. I don't like getting out of my truck more thanI have to while setting up.. For this reason ifI did go with a slider.. it would be one that automatically slid back.. like the PullRite

A PullRite 18k auto-slider hitch is $1550 before tax and installation

*(author not responsible for shatted rear glass and dented sheet metal)

Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM
okieflyboy

I used my fixed 5th wheel hitch by RBW, had it set right at the axle center line and changed out the pin on the RV with the extended ones now available. Tows just great and clears the cab with no problems. Didn't like the idea of the hitch being movable either by choice or automatic and besides this fix cost less money than a new hitch.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

I've only had to use mine once. I was backing sharply into a downhill camp site. The normal clearance changed because of the downhill angle. My 5'er actually touched the cab of my truck. Luckily I realized I was close and stopped backing just in time.

Regards, Glenn

Old 08-23-2007, 05:28 PM
CaptKidd

I have an 07 Mega Cab and use a Super Glide 18K. This hitch works great 90 degee + turns no sweat.

Not cheap but well worth the money. Because it is an auto slide you never have to do anything just drive.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

Beautiful rig Capt!.. I cantell by the pic that your Rv wouldn't work so well without a slider.. I think the automatic sliders are the way to go.. people never want to get out to engage//disengage a manual slider so they go unused for the most part.. for my camper/truck combo I think the money spent on a slider would be wasted.. if ya can't crank it at least as far (without getting too close to your cab) as you can with a bumper pull.. you better go with a slider...and if you;re already spending the money..might as well go with a automatic

Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

ORIGINAL: halfdozenbuzzin

A PullRite 18k auto-slider hitch is $1550 before tax and installation

*(author not responsible for shatted rear glass and dented sheet metal)
That seems kinda cheap or are you quoting a price without the rails?

I bought mine off e-bay of all places and got it for 1800 with the rails and was happier than a pig in...well you know, cause I saved a ton over anything local even with the price of the shipping included.

BTW, after having been on a trip this summer, and getting that trailer in and out of a few places I would never be without my SuperGlide!!!
My son especially thanked me when we seen a new Dodge 3500 in a RV park with the cab smashed and the back window busted out...I told my wife THAT is why I spent the money on that hitch...My son piped up from the back seat..."THANKS DAD! That woulda been my head back there"

You can take all that for what it is worth, but why not make it brainless and never have to wonder if you need to slide it back or not, let IT decide!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

Suggested Retail: $1,550.00* (hitch only, requires mounting kit & capture plate for new installations)

http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_18.htm

You are definately right.. i should have read the fine print!

sorry bout that

Quick Reply: WTB - 5th Wheel Slider Hitch...