Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Rattling // Pecking

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:56 PM
bway4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling // Pecking

I posted something about this problem earlier in the week, however its getting more noticeable. There is a pecking noise coming from what sounds like the passenger rear side of the truck. I have no idea what it is so i thought i would post on here and someone could help me diagnose the problem. I only hear the pecking while moving.

Could this be something to do with the brakes? (My breaks do screech, haven't had the chance to look at them yet)
Transmission? (6 spd manual) Could it be something in the tranny?
Rearend? I looked at the pan and as far as i can tell its not leaking any grease.

Guys i really need help here, I want to catch this before it turns into something major. Any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Rattling // Pecking

what kind of hub caps are on it?

what yr truck?

Old 08-24-2007, 10:37 PM
bway4x4
Rookie

2004 2500 CTD

Factory hub caps

Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM
jostep

Can you hear it with the windows up? Does the pecking increase as your speed increases?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 PM
bway4x4
Rookie

The truck is straight piped but if i let off the pedal and let her coast you can hear it with windows up or down, better with windows down obviously, and yes, the pecking does seem to increase as speed increases.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:54 PM
SpLaT
Captain

pecking!? can you elaborate... is it a rattle, regular sound or erratic... I get em once in awhile when driving dirt/gravel roads and muddy roads, seems the tires kick up some losse stuff which get caught up on the wipper faring, they dance around sounding like a rattle.Or mud gets stuck between the back edge of the hood and wipperfaring, causing the hoods rubber seal to stick or rub on the wipper faring(firewall) I either open hood or wash truck down and rattles/squeaks go away and I have peace of mind back.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: bway4x4

Factory hub caps
old slip ins or or newer outer ware?

old slip ins will rattle, so will rocks in the tires. mine rattles do to a bolt hangin through the truck bed...

could aslo be exhaust pipe rattle...

Old 08-25-2007, 05:57 PM
UpBranchLiner

That definately sounds like amelanerpes erythrocephalus. Sounds like: PECK PECK PECK PECK PECK 4 second pause PECK PECK PECK PECK PECK. Not good usually requires an overhaul.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Sounds to me like you have a nail or screw stuck in your tire. I know it sounds crazy, but I had the same noise a while back and sure enough it was a nail in my tire. Check it over and see if thats what the fantom noise is b4 you start tearing the truck apart.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 AM
bway4x4
Rookie

ORIGINAL: UpBranchLiner

That definately sounds like amelanerpes erythrocephalus. Sounds like: PECK PECK PECK PECK PECK 4 second pause PECK PECK PECK PECK PECK. Not good usually requires an overhaul.
What are you talking about?

Also, could it possibly be Universal joint? I checked and the driveshaft is tight with no play.... I checked the tires and have nothing in them... Is there any chance that a tranny problem would make a pecking noise only while moving, and whether in gear or coasting?

Quick Reply: Rattling // Pecking