Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Void warranty, can anyone substantiate this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Void warranty, can anyone substantiate this?

It is a canister looking thing on the firewall near the brake booster. there will be a yellow horizontal switch, move it and it will drain then close it.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:40 AM
VOYAGER956

I am a Warranty Adminstrator for Chrysler with over 20 years in the business and I can tell you from a
Warranty standpoint that if the water is not drained at each oil change, and the proper fuel used, it can
void the factory warranty on thatsystem and any related components. Inthe Dealerships it is required
that we report to the factory any systems that we find modified, or if we find that a vehicle has an
issue related to improper or negligent maintenance. This practice is not to be a pain in the customers
backside, but rather to prevent repairs being charged to Chrysler that are not their responsibility.

I personally own an 04 2500 quad cab 4x4 with the 5.9 Cummins, and have followed all the
recommended maintenance and have had absolutely no problems with the injectors. My truck
runs like a dream, gets approximately 17 miles to the gallon around town and 20 highway.

I do know that we have seen several trucks that the maintenance had obviously not been kept up
and we had to deny the warranty repairs. I definetely am not a mechanic or technician, but the
owners manual breaks down what needs to be done and when, following those guidlines will
keep the truck running just fine. There are times when there are issues with any vehicle and as
long as you have done your maintenance and can show the records the factory has no problem
standing behind their vehicles and covering the repairs under the warranty.

Hope this information helps,

While I am at it, I have a question about tires on my truck, I currently have 265/70R/17's and
want to go with a larger tire to fill more of the wheel well. I have made some inquiries at tire shops
and they are saying that a 285/70R/17 would be the largest I could go without having a rubbing
problem. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, as I would like to replace the tires
before we get into winter--probably have another 5k on these tires, but don't want to let them
get too low.

Thanks for time and advice

Joanne

Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 AM
AKCerberus

So to be safe drain it every fill-up....I get that. But what do you drain it into? The EPA (as well as the gas station) might have some issues with your truck marking its territory all over the ground.
For you diesel tech's out there, does PowerService (grey or white) have enough lubricants to take care of your injectors while running ULSD?

Old 08-28-2007, 01:11 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I do anyway, but I change the fuel filter every other oil change. BTW, Welcome Voyager956!!

Old 08-28-2007, 01:45 AM
firemansdodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: VOYAGER956

I am a Warranty Adminstrator for Chrysler with over 20 years in the business and I can tell you from a
Warranty standpoint that if the water is not drained at each oil change, and the proper fuel used, it can
void the factory warranty on thatsystem and any related components. Inthe Dealerships it is required
that we report to the factory any systems that we find modified, or if we find that a vehicle has an
issue related to improper or negligent maintenance. This practice is not to be a pain in the customers
backside, but rather to prevent repairs being charged to Chrysler that are not their responsibility.

I personally own an 04 2500 quad cab 4x4 with the 5.9 Cummins, and have followed all the
recommended maintenance and have had absolutely no problems with the injectors. My truck
runs like a dream, gets approximately 17 miles to the gallon around town and 20 highway.

I do know that we have seen several trucks that the maintenance had obviously not been kept up
and we had to deny the warranty repairs. I definetely am not a mechanic or technician, but the
owners manual breaks down what needs to be done and when, following those guidlines will
keep the truck running just fine. There are times when there are issues with any vehicle and as
long as you have done your maintenance and can show the records the factory has no problem
standing behind their vehicles and covering the repairs under the warranty.

Hope this information helps,

While I am at it, I have a question about tires on my truck, I currently have 265/70R/17's and
want to go with a larger tire to fill more of the wheel well. I have made some inquiries at tire shops
and they are saying that a 285/70R/17 would be the largest I could go without having a rubbing
problem. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, as I would like to replace the tires
before we get into winter--probably have another 5k on these tires, but don't want to let them
get too low.

Thanks for time and advice

Joanne
You can go up to 305/70/17 or 285/75/17. Both are 33.8", but the 305's will be a little wider.

As for water in the fuel problem. I change my fuel filter every 10,000 miles and never had a problem. Never seen water in the fuel after I drain it. Not to say the one time I fill up and get a bad batch of fuel. By then it may be to late to realize it. The fuel filter is the only thing I change myself since the dealer wants $90 for a change when yourself can do it for $16. The dealer does the rest of my maintenance w/ the lifetime oil changes ($600) when I bought my truck new. Paid for itself already.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:46 AM
jjintxs

Thanks guys, especially nice to hear from an authority with Dodge, Voyager. I'm still curious as to why so many Dodge CTD's are running through my brother's shop, but am more at ease over unloading mine. I maintain mine meticulously, so, good to go AND good feed back fellas.

ORIGINAL: VOYAGER956

void the factory warranty on thatsystem and any related components.
Drain the filter at every OIL change, not fill up then. Got it!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

realy. . .your supposed to drain the filter a little every time you fill up, however, if you go to stations that have a high turn-over of diesel (big truck stops) your chances of getting water and sludge in your tank are almost zero.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

shouldnt have to worry about water in the fuel here in the desert. when we hold 110* months on end, water doesnt stand a chance!!

the dirt and concrete hold a constant temp of about 88* dang warm to the touch 3' down!!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM
SpLaT
Captain

Condensation (water) forms in mostly underground tanks, especially in tanks that go undistrubed for long periods of time.As the tempature during the day increases the tank and fuel withinwarms. At night when the tempature drops, moisture or condensation forms, when enough forms it drops down into the fuel. Best way to avoid condensation/water is to find like Drew mentioned is to find a fuel station whichsees a lot of traffic. In the lower eastern states they experience "mold" issues and the fuel is treated with conditioners to combat mold, due to the high moister content in the air. And in the northern climates we get anti gel componets. Diesel fuel also gets treated for parafin deposits and an anti-static product is injected into diesel production to help eliminate static chargesproduced when liquids flowthrough pipelines.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:48 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: bajafun

shouldnt have to worry about water in the fuel here in the desert. when we hold 110* months on end, water doesnt stand a chance!!

the dirt and concrete hold a constant temp of about 88* dang warm to the touch 3' down!!
That is what I was thinking plus I always go to a truck stop to get my fuel (usually cheaper) I did however open the valve and let it drain.

Quick Reply: Void warranty, can anyone substantiate this?