Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Void warranty, can anyone substantiate this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
jjintxs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Void warranty, can anyone substantiate this?

An email received from my uncle (in blue):

Guys just some info I thought you might like to have if you, or a buddy, own a 2001 or newer Dodge Diesel...

We have been having quite a few claims on Dodge diesel pickups where the injectors are burning out, and in some cases the engines are shelling.... Although Dodge won't admit to it, there is a defect in the Dodge Diesel pickup's fuel system. Ever since they went over to the high pressure injectors in 2001/2002, there has been a problem with the injectors burning out. Some folks are burning tranmission fluid mixed in with the diesel (at a rate of about 1 quart per tank full of diesel) to cool the mix and prevent the injectors from burning out. This is mostly due to the new ultra low sulfer content in diesel that is required by the clean air act and your federal government.... This helps for the sulfer problem, but there is more... if your rig blows up Dodge will tell you that you did not follow the service manual and a lack of maintainence caused the problem and will notcover it under warranty. They will reference a part of your manual that tells you to flush the systemfilter every time you fill up. As I understand it this is near the lower back protion of the engine compartment and would require you to stand on the bumper or go under the vehicle to do this.

Point being, you need to drain the water and sediment out of this filter housing regularly, and if your have injector issues make sure you flush it before you take it to the dealer...

Just FYI, it may save you about $5000 in the long run.

I make no claims of true of false here; however, my younger brother is a diesel mechanic and owns his own shop. He called me a week ago and said "you need to unload your truck ('04 4X4 Dodge CTD) as fast as you can". He said he had 8 Dodge cummins in his shop and that everyone had the # 1 piston shattered. On top of that 5 of them were still under the factory warranty; however, Dodge said it was void because they claimed the owners were running "dirty fuel". The dealer in Amarillo, Texas (where my brother's shop is) pulled the filter and saw sediment at the bottom of the filter bowl and voided the warranty. This is total BS!

He told me to stay away from the Powerstrokes and Cummins because that is all he is getting in his shop and feels it is related to the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel. He said the Cummins motors are breaking the rings off of the pistons and then ending up on top of the piston, making contact with the head and shattering the piston.

Now, I live in Dallas, Texas and have plenty of friends that have CTD's and none of us have hadthe problem of shattered pistons nor have I heard of any of the CTD's in this area having this problem. I run LDL with every tank and have no problems. Would be nice tohear differentso I could relax. If not, truck for sale!!

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=PICT0002.jpg

Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Void warranty, can anyone substantiate this?

OK, I am alittle confused. In the blue it states "Although Dodge won't admit to it, there is a defect in the Dodge Diesel pickup's fuel system. Ever since they went over to the high pressure injectors in 2001/2002, there has been a problem with the injectors burning out." And " This is mostly due to the new ultra low sulfer content in diesel that is required by the clean air act and your federal government....
Then lower it says "He told me to stay away from the Powerstrokes and Cummins because that is all he is getting in his shop and feels it is related to the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel."

Questions : What is the defect in the fuel system? Or is the defect the ultra low sulfer diesel? Ok so let me get this straight. This "defective fuel system" worked fine untill the mandate of ultra low sulfer diesel? If so how is that a defective fuel system?

I am curious as to how many of these trucks used red (off-road) diesel or had water in the fuel system?
If they are using red diesel or are not draining the water out of the fuel filter housing, how does that make the injectors at fault.I see many diesels daily and themost injector problems are due to fuel contamination. I have seen injectors fail due to trash clogging them, or water killing them. I see more water problems that ultra low sulfer diesel problems. Ifanowner is running the wrong diesel or has water contamination, thats a fuel problem and not a defect of the fuel system. Not trying to be an *** here. Just giving a piont of view from someone that works for a dealer

Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

OK, I am alittle confused. In the blue it states "Although Dodge won't admit to it, there is a defect in the Dodge Diesel pickup's fuel system. Ever since they went over to the high pressure injectors in 2001/2002, there has been a problem with the injectors burning out." And " This is mostly due to the new ultra low sulfer content in diesel that is required by the clean air act and your federal government....
Then lower it says "He told me to stay away from the Powerstrokes and Cummins because that is all he is getting in his shop and feels it is related to the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel."

Questions : What is the defect in the fuel system? Or is the defect the ultra low sulfer diesel? Ok so let me get this straight. This "defective fuel system" worked fine untill the mandate of ultra low sulfer diesel? If so how is that a defective fuel system?

I am curious as to how many of these trucks used red (off-road) diesel or had water in the fuel system?
If they are using red diesel or are not draining the water out of the fuel filter housing, how does that make the injectors at fault.I see many diesels daily and themost injector problems are due to fuel contamination. I have seen injectors fail due to trash clogging them, or water killing them. I see more water problems that ultra low sulfer diesel problems. Ifanowner is running the wrong diesel or has water contamination, thats a fuel problem and not a defect of the fuel system. Not trying to be an *** here. Just giving a piont of view from someone that works for a dealer
Should I really Drain the water everytime I stop for gas? I do it like every 3 or 4 times.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well now. . .this is a first. . .

I'm gunna have to call BS on this. . .first of all, the HPCR's started in 03. . .in 02 the engines were still running the VP44 injector pump. . .thats FACT, second, the only time I have realy heard of an engine grenading itself was when it was modified, and the supporting mods were not present. third, the HPCR injection system was certified back in 03 to run the ULSD that was mandated back in Jan 07. the only defect in the fuel system that I have seen have been very few injector issues here and there, and defective CP3 being few and far between. these issues have been about 1-2 in every 20-30 trucks, and for the most part DC have been fixing the issues.

my guess is these guys have been useing pressure boxes to up the performance of the trucks. high pressure WILL kill the injectors if it is not monitored closely. even though the rail pop off valve is supposed to let off anything above 26K psi, sometimes it doesnt and the injectors have to take what is given from the CP3.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do it every time. It is alarming how much water gets in the in-ground tanks. The last 2 diesel engines that I saw that had died an early death were both water related. We are required to do a fuel sample test if there is any problem with the fuel system Dodge doesn't consider water in fuel as a defect of the system. You could be denied warranty repairs. It only takes 10 seconds to drain the water. A few seconds can prevent thousands of dollars being spent for repairs.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:37 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

I would do it every time. It is alarming how much water gets in the in-ground tanks. The last 2 diesel engines that I saw that had died an early death were both water related. We are required to do a fuel sample test if there is any problem with the fuel system Dodge doesn't consider water in fuel as a defect of the system. You could be denied warranty repairs. It only takes 10 seconds to drain the water. A few seconds can prevent thousands of dollars being spent for repairs.
Thanks, I am going to do it before I leave work. and now everytime I put gas.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
UpBranchLiner

Isnt there an idiot light that comes on when theres water in the filter?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Silverline
Veteran

There is an idiot light. But it takes almost a whole cup of water to make the light go off. That's a lot of water to have in your fuel. It makes you wonder why they didn't set it to be a little more sensitive.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I have to cal BS on the trans fluid in the fuel too. Trans fluid is not must to combust like fuels do. 2 stoke engine oil is one thing but, trans is out of the question.

The injector tips are made on titanium I believe, that or tungsten and just about impossible to hurt. This is one of my injectors after a piston melt down. I scrapped off what you see on the tip... had it tested, and there was nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 PM
farmerguy
Rookie

so, on an 07 where is the filter drain and how do i drain it? how often is necessary? thx,,,,,

Quick Reply: Void warranty, can anyone substantiate this?