Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

PROPS to you guy's who tow trailers !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROPS to you guy's who tow trailers !!

Man I don't know how you guy's do it.

I'm only towing a 12 foot trailer andI panic like a long tailed cat in a room full of rockers. I've had it for 3 or so years, andI still struggle with backing it up sometimes. It seems like it wants to fold up as soon as I start to back up. Not only that, but I seem to need a ton of room to not only back up, but also for cornering.

I was at a campground last weekend and there were guy's pulling 25' - 30' trailers like it was nothing. I wasn't watching to see how they got in or out of their sites, I didn't really think about it till later, I was just at the lake on Monday watching them all roll out one after another.

I don't know how you guy's do it. I'm fine on the open road and such, but when it comes to having to back into a tight campsite things start to get hairy. PROPS to you !!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PROPS to you guy's who tow trailers !!

heaviestcombined load Ive pulled(not with my truck) was 64 Feet and grossed 220,000lbs that was 20mph of butt puckering fun

longest was a freightliner and a 48 foot trailer loaded to the gills with stuff. . .nice part is I didnt have to stop at weight stations, gotta love the military

it takes alot of practice to manuver a trailer good. . .the worse thing to back-up is a trailer that is shorter than the vehicle your towing it with. the longer the trailer the easier it is to back up since the movements of the trailer are more easily controlled.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

. . .the worse thing to back-up is a trailer that is shorter than the vehicle your towing it with. the longer the trailer the easier it is to back up since the movements of the trailer are more easily controlled.
I'm wondering if this may not be part of my problem.

I don't know if my trailer is longer than my Ram or not, but I bet they're pretty close in size if you include the tongue. I don't remember having as much trouble when pulling the race car trailer, but then again, I never pulled into a one lane campground and had to back it into a site either soI dunno how I'd do.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

the longer trailers react much slower.. i have a little jet ski trailer that is a handful to back down a long ramp.. i'm still getting used to backing a 26ft 5th-wheel.. it feels so much different than a bumper pull.. i learned as a kid how to back a trailer just using the mirrors.. because most of the lumber delivery trucks i drove had the rear window blocked with headache rack to keep the glass from being broken ... if i have to turn around and look.. i get screwed up real quick!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Like Drew says... a longer trailer is much easier to steer the shorties are tuff even for us with plenty of experience!Keyis ...to make small movements in the steering wheel, turn the wheel in the direction you want the back end of the trailer to go,and take it slow.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Try shuffling 40ft trailers with about 10-12" on bothsides in our lot at work

Old 09-05-2007, 03:57 PM
skoshi

It can be tough and we are still learning on this end. However, take your time and we were told ......

when backing any trailer .... pull far ahead of area you want to back into. if using mirrors place hand on bottom of steering wheel and turn direction you want trailer to go. go slow and steer in small movements. take your time and size up things as you go......

practice at home with cones or some thing that will not hurt your camper.... start wide then with each good pass.. move in tighter.

We go slow, take our time and if anyone is watching, we make sure to wave at them first and then ask if they want to come over and assist Works every time, you either get someone else to help or they go inside

Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
UpBranchLiner

Try backing up a wagon. With an extra swivel point things get interesting.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
dhattaway

The tip I got from an old-time trucker was to put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. The back of the trailer will move in the same direction that your hand moves (opposite from the back of your truck). Slow and easy and, if you don't get it where you want it, pull forward, line it up as straight as you can, and go again.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Seriously! I have no problem backing up a trailer. However I do have to go a little slower with the dumb single jetski trailer. The thing that make itthe most difficultis having a lifted truck and not even being able to see the trailer with the tailgate down when your trying to pull out your ski. [:@] I need to put a flag or something on it, its rediculous.

Quick Reply: PROPS to you guy's who tow trailers !!