Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Always something!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007 | 11:08 AM
brycharz
|
Default Always something!!

Not really related but I want to add this to the story: I have a new Harley Softail and during the first 700 miles I fueled up with a tank full of gasoline that was contaminated with diesel. How do I know that, because the bike ran like crap, went back to the pump and told them to shut down the "premium" sales and test the tank. A couple days later I get notification that the supplier had "accidently" had some diesel fuel mixed in the fuel and I should contact them. So I did, they were negligent. Long story short a guy KNEW he mixed some diesel in with the premium and let it go to the pumps anyway. Still dealing with that issue, bike pinging like crazy at mid throttle.

Here's the Dodge part of this post: Another issue that popped up yesterday... I have a 07, 2500 CTD with 9000 miles on it. Had the 7500 oil change done at the dealership along with a minor warranty repair (rubber grommet on the anti-sway bar). Yesterday I saw what I thought was water dripping cuz I had just parked it and the AC was running. Looked closer and it was dark black. I look up and see oil drips on pretty much everything underneath the truck along with oil splatter back to the Rear Diff and running the sides of the truck.

I could see that it was engine oil and that the source of it was coming from near the oil filter. Grabbed a rag, got under the truck and guess what...the oil filter was so loose that my fingertips were able to rotate it with hardly any pressure at all. It only moved a MAX of an 1/8 of a turn until I could feel the whole gasket was disengaged from the mount. I was, an still am, so freaking furious!! I thought the whole point to dealer service is to avoid any warranty issues?? Guess dealership sabotage is par for the course.

So I started thinking about it...1500 miles into an oil change, 6000 miles left to go. I have never, when installed right, seen a oil filter back off of a mount on any vehicle I've owned. Once it's tight, it's tight and usually gets tighter. So...the service department never tightened it properly from my perspective.

1. At any moment, the gasket could have failed because the oil filter was not seated an cupping it.
2. The filter could have loosened that 1/8th of a turn and oil pressure would have been gone as well as the oil itself.

Either way, If I didn't happen to see this it really could have be catastrophic. Ever try to go around a turn with oil all over your rear wheels??? How about towing a Travel Trailer with your truck at 65, dumping all the oil, then trying to control the thing with all the wheels coated in 12 qts of oil (ok, realistically 10 qts).

Not to mention I'm sure the turbo wouldn't like to loose all it's cooling and lubrication, or the engine for that matter.

So, I'm going to pay a visit to the dealership on Monday and have a sit down. Any suggestions??

Old 09-09-2007 | 12:30 PM
CutterW
Captain
Default RE: Always something!!

Change your own oil even if its free. I never let anyone touch my filters or engine except me. I've had people strip oil plugs and do all sorts of stuff that will go bad in the long run. Even seen guys put the wrong plug into the pan, and get it to fit, but took few hours to get it back out. Luckily I was there witha friend and not my truck.

Old 09-09-2007 | 12:45 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: Always something!!

all I can say is that is mucho mucho ****ed up man. I'd be whiggin out worse than you iw oulda went there right away. 40k dollar truck and those dbags can't screw on a 13 dollar filter properly **** that.