Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad Turbo! Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:00 AM
sabersix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Turbo! Bad!

With 4650 miles on the truck, I had an appointment (my first) with the dealer's Service Department to look at the excessive fuel in oil reading on my last oil analysis (see this post), get the latest PCM flash (version AU), and get the high idle featuer enabled. I was really hoping to get the flash and a free oil change out of the trip. [:-]

Well, on the way to the dealer, the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on. Actually, how lucky is that!?! I wasn't on my way to the beach with the whole family, I was enroute to the dealer! I dropped off the truck and added the CEL to the repair list.

The Service Manager called later in the afternoon. They flashed the PCM, enabled the high idle, and changed the oil. The CEL code was P2262, low turbo boost (I never noticed any loss of power). Dodge advised them to replace the turbo. The new turbo is being sent priority overnight and will be replaced today. The dealer kept the truck overnight because they have 48 hours to return the bad turbo or they get charged $4000!

I certainly wasn't expecting to need a new turbo, but can't complain about a one day turn around. Previous posters with turbo problems were waiting two weeks for back ordered turbos in July. I guess the supply chain has caught up with the demand created by the unexpectedly high failure rate.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Joel_MD
Captain
Default RE: Bad Turbo! Bad!

Colonel, when I had about 4,800 miles my check engine light came on. The Attitude monitor said it was the P2262 code, same as yours. (see my post from 21 Aug: https://dodgeforum.com/m_937585/tm.htm) It stayed on for about a week, then went away and haven't seen it since (knock on wood).

Is theAU PCM flash the one that came out in June, or is there a newer one? I don't like going to the service department, so I'm going to wait until something is really bad before I bring it in for service.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 AM
sabersix

ORIGINAL: Joel_MD
Is theAU PCM flash the one that came out in June, or is there a newer one? I don't like going to the service department, so I'm going to wait until something is really bad before I bring it in for service.
Version AT came outon June 12th. The latest version, AU, came on onAug 29th. I figure there must be a reason for a new version, so I wanted to get it installed (just like having the latest verion of BIOS formy computer). I'm hoping they backed off the frequency of regeneration which should bump the fuel mileage a bit.

If you get the P2262 code again, I'd take it in.Dodge appears to be ramped up to replacethe turbosvery quickly now. Tate Dodge of Annapolis has been quiet easy to work with.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 AM
olkutt

just had a new turbo put in after all the flashes didnt cure the trouble.[:@]new turbo seems to have done the trick its still stiff but is doing better the mpg is starting to come back.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 PM
pakee001

Does anybody know a place to find out exactly what changed between the AT and AU revisions of the PCM flash? My dad's 6.7L has ran great so far without a single hickup, but I think it smart to keep up with the updates since they should be correcting the majority of problems.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM
dramman

Is Dodge suppose to contact you with these updates? Or are you suppose to just call the dealer to see if there are any available? My dealer hasn't mentioned word one to me about any updates, except for telling me They want 18k to repair my truck

Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

A couple of months ago someone on the TDR Forum wrote about the June 12 release. He said the new software makes the engine go into regeneration more often, and each regen cycle lasts longer. I guess that release was designed to keep the DPFs from filling up with soot. I'll do some searches on the TDR Forum to see if I can find out something about the AU release.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
sabersix

ORIGINAL: dramman

Is Dodge suppose to contact you with these updates? Or are you suppose to just call the dealer to see if there are any available? My dealer hasn't mentioned word one to me about any updates, except for telling me They want 18k to repair my truck
These updates are part of Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) issued by Dodge to the dealers to help them diagnose and repair the vehicles. They are not part of a formal recall so Dodge is not obligated to contact the buyer. There is a pretty good TSB page hosted by Geno's Garage here. New TSBs may take some time to get posted to this page, so you'll usually here about them in forums like this one and others.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM
sabersix

Got my truck back today after having the turbo replaced. They had it Monday morning through this afternoon (Wed). Not bad I guess. They also flashed the PCM with the latest update (version AU), changed the oil, and enabled the high idle feature.

Truck seems to run fine, but it was running fine before I took it in. I'm curious now what effect this will have on my MPG.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Colonel, I was wondering if you have much soot coming out of your tailpipe? My exhaust looked totally soot-free until I had about 1400 miles. Now the exhaust looks very sooty during acceleration, about what you would have on a diesel without the DPF. I'm wondering if my DPF is full of soot, although it doesn't seem to affect engine power or drivability. I'm thinking about chopping off the entire exhaust system after the turbo, and putting on a stainless pipe with an Aero 4040XL and nothing else.

Quick Reply: Bad Turbo! Bad!