Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Muffler delete alone be much louder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler delete alone be much louder?

Hey all, I have an appointment to get my muffler cut off and havea 4" straight pipe put in place here in a little bit. Will this make the truck a whole lot louder or just a bit? I tow heavy loads frequently and don't want it too obnoxious in the cab with drone or what not. People that have already done this what do you think about it?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:34 PM
aka_chewy
All Star
Default RE: Muffler delete alone be much louder?

deleting the muffler will make it quite a bit louder in my opinion. I have an early 04 that had a 3.5" pipe to the muffler and 4" out. I cut out the muffler and put a piece of pipe in and the interior noise hardly went up at all, but outside it was loud as he!!. However, I don't pull anything really.

My Sister-in-laws husband has a 04.5 and has 4" from the turbo back, no muffler, and his is pretty loud in the cab. He said when he hauls a bobcat, it's annoying in the cab. I've ridden in his truck and at highway speeds, the interior noise is to much for me. Just something about the tone of the noise and the volume of it.

I would guess that if you are pulling quite a bit, your going to want a muffler of some sort. With that, I recommend the Aero muffler. It's a straight through design and has a resonated version that will cut down on some of the noise.

Just my .02 on the whole deal, i'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

Thanks for your quick reply. I also pull a bobcat mostly everyday which I load in the back of my 4500lb 14ft dump trailer. Combined i'm pullin around 11,000 lbs. My truck now is sooo quiet on the inside so i'd like a little sound. Just don't want to get annoyed if I take anylong trips or anything.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM
savage.basher

You'll love it. Big loads,with the right amount of throttle,at the right rpm will drone a little, but totally worth it .

Old 09-13-2007, 01:51 PM
savage.basher

If you don't like the sound of a straight piped diesel, then there must be something wrong . I love driving around parking lots... setting off car alarms and what not .

Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I love the sound of mine too and when I've pulled my '52 ford around, it didn't bother me at all. There was just something about my Brother in laws that drove me nutz.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:58 PM
bwrong
Rookie

If you don't like loud loud you will not like it. I took mine off and after two days put a performance muffler on it. You will really not like pulling a load with it. My 6 year old son thought it was cool at first and then he even complained about how loud it was in the truck.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM
mike55555

I have a 96 with a 5 speed--straight pipe all the way back--and i love the sound..

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

I think diesels sound great straight piped....

Old 09-13-2007, 11:22 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

I decided not to have the 4x4 shop not weld a straight pipe in place of my muffler. I think I'm going to order the ME kit off the internet and install it myself for much cheaper. My next door neighbor works for chrysler building these trucks ( a huge advantage to me) so he'll be able to get it on there in no time. This way I can always go back if the sound isn't for me. I'm only 23 so i'd assume that it wouldn't be too loud for me, but like I said my business requires me to pull decent size loads on a regular basis which most of the time i'm taking phone calls and such. Thanks for the replies you all are very helpful on this site!

Quick Reply: Muffler delete alone be much louder?