Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Pre or Post Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Erock509
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre or Post Turbo?

Im installing my egt probe for the bully dog outlook monitor and I have seen on here that most people are doing it pre turbo for most apllications. In the installation book, it says for dodge to install post turbo. Just wondering which one I should do. Not going to be heavily modified, just exhaust, intake ,and programmer, any input would be great.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Pre or Post Turbo?

its all in preference per aplication.

before the turbo shows exhaust temp

post turbo shows how the turbo is coolin.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:10 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Doesn't the bully dog have a tubo timer built in?? If so wouldn't you want to go post so you can use it?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

I think there are many opinions on this one, so I will give mine as I was really not sure which was the best either when I installed mine.
EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature);n. The temperature of the exhaust gas from the combustion of fuel.

SO, in my opinion if you wanted to properly measure exhaust Gas temperature, you would want your probe as close to the source of the combustion as possible, thus in the exhaust manifold.

NOW, if you want to measure Turbo exhaust temperature, I would think post turbo would be the appropriate place. I think there are too many variables to necessarily correlate post turbo tems to pre-turbo temps, allthough I have not experimented. It would seem that RPM, Boost, and time would be a few things that would cause an indirect correlation between the two. In other words, Post turbo temps are not ALWAYS 200 degrees lower(or whatever number you feel like using). I also dont think it is possible to have higher post-turbo temps than pre-turbo temps, so if your pre-turbo temps are at safe levels then it would definitely be a more "worst case" type reading as far as turbo temperatures go(allthough I could be wrong on that, because I am no expert)

I believe turbo airplanes have a thing called TIT (No, not what you think, despite the recent happenings with Southwest airlines) Turbo Inlet Temperature, which it would seem to me that if airplanes use that process it would be the most reliable readings, since they do have a bit more at stake, in case of engine failure.

The only negative I could think of of placing the EGT probe in the pre-turbo location would be if in fact the probe broke, it WOULD go through the turbo and cause damage, however I have never heard or read of this happening to anyone, but I suppose it is always a possibility.

Well that is my two cents...got change?

Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Erock509
Veteran

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

Doesn't the bully dog have a tubo timer built in?? If so wouldn't you want to go post so you can use it?

I just looked in the book and i didnt see any turbo timer, so im not sure.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just remember. . .post turbo temps are on average 300F cooler than those pre-turbo.

if you drill post turbo, keep the EGT limit to around 900-1000F, pre turbo keep it below 1350F.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 AM
bekim
Professional

There's no cool-down timer on my Triple Dog. The Outlook Monitor is setup with 2 sets of EGT leads, so you can install two EGT probes(even though it only comes with on probe)
Mine is pre turbo.
Cheers
Mike
###

[IMG]local://upfiles/28306/F4A00DBCD4AB4609A32251A3F7B16FE4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2007, 01:32 AM
gtxpooch
All Star

I set my turbo timer on the Edge to shut down at 300* pre turbo is that okay??

Old 09-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: gtxpooch

I set my turbo timer on the Edge to shut down at 300* pre turbo is that okay??

thats fine. .. if you worked the engine hard you would notice the temps would not come down as quick.

300* pre and post turbo are fine BTW.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:03 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

The way I see it there are two benefits to going post turbo. One is eliminating the possibility of the probe going through the turbo, and the second is tubo heat soak. When towing heavy for longer periods the tubo WILL soak up alot of heat, pre temps could begin falling before your turbo is cool. Post turbo would be most accurate for this scenerio. All in how you will use your truck.

Quick Reply: Pre or Post Turbo?