Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Somethin shakin in the driveline.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 AM
swilsone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somethin shakin in the driveline.

This will be hard to explain but I'll try...I have a vibration in what feels like the driveline between 50-55 mph and very noticable between 72-78 mph. I've had the front driveshaft rebuilt, balanced, balanced again, balanced a third time by another company who moved the weight and straightend it to 0.005" so I think I can rule out the front drive shaft. Thought I was just being picky and let it go...sprung a leak between the front and mid case of the transfer case so had them pull that and send the rear driveshaft off to have it rebuilt, balanced (added weights), and straightend (was not bent). The transfer case was not cracked but the silicone seal was leaking so they re-sealed it and put it all back together.
The truck still has the same vibration.
At 72-78mph the engine is around 2050-2200rpm in 6th gear. It doesn't seem to be related to engine rpm because I tried getting it to vibrate in different gears between 1900-2200 rpm and then running the truck up to 75 in 5th gear resulted in the same vibration(plus alot of noise...with straight exhaust).

Any suggestions? Need any more info?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:44 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Somethin shakin in the driveline.

Having the same problems with mine, but it occured after I put new tires on. Had the tires balanced about 8 different times. After that many time to the tire store, I had one of the guys ride in the truck with me. Turns out two of the brand new tires had a small buldge in them on the tread surface. 2 free new tires later and the vibration at 45-55 went away. Still has the vibration at 65-75 but I don't drive that fast very often.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Somethin shakin in the driveline.

thats what I was gonna suggest..tires....

now I see its an 02 truck with the vibrato at certain speeds.

you have had the drive shafts rebuilt, but did anyone replace the u jointswhile this was goin on?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 AM
cj5nutz
Default RE: Something shaking in the drive line.

It is a widespread problem that seems to have no cure and Dodge doesn't seem to want to acknowledge that they have a drive line vibration problem. I have been to 3 different dealerships with mine. Two acknowledge that I have a problem, one even with a "wow" . The third sat right there with it resonating at about 2100 rpms and said he felt nothing. It is always at the same speed in high gear and same rpm but I guess I will drive mine until someone finds an answer.

Edit.. I have new tires now and no change.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:39 PM
swilsone

I've had the tires balanced a few times...and I rotated them a few times....still vibrating. When I rebuilt the driveshafts all u-joints are replaced with new.

When you say widespread problem, do most people here have this going on?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Are you sure sharx isnt getting to know your tailpipe?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:23 PM
cj5nutz

There are other threads on this same subject

Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: swilsone

I've had the tires balanced a few times...and I rotated them a few times....still vibrating. When I rebuilt the driveshafts all u-joints are replaced with new.

When you say widespread problem, do most people here have this going on?
I have read posts about drivelines being the causeas well as factory "Good Year" tires being out of round. I think it is most common on the Ram 1500's, Someone correct me if I am wrong on that.
Oh and there was a TSB for 061500's "not sure if 07's were in on that TSB"that had faulty front bearings as well. I belive that I read a post a while back saying that the bearing fix cured the shaking problem for at least one guy.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:27 PM
swilsone

It doesn't feel like the wheel bearings are bad when I shake the tires but I'll have a closer look.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard of the rims themselves being bent ever so slightly. this would cause the tire to go out of round. . .is this something that just happened or been an on going thing?

Quick Reply: Somethin shakin in the driveline.