Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Change Required...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 AM
SoNauty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Required...

Ok, I was told that my truck didn't need an oil change until 7500 miles. I have 5600 and this is now the second time my info center has told me that an oil change is required. WTF? Last time I took it in the service guy hopped in, did a few little pumps of the brake, gas and picked his nose and my truck didn't "need" an oil change anymore. Yea friggin right. If it doesn't need it then why is it saying it needs it. I understand dummy lights... but dummy oil change notifications?

Anyone have this problem too?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 AM
UpBranchLiner
Default RE: Oil Change Required...

Have you change it at all? If not I would change it to get all the break in crap out of it.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

the engines are ran and flushed before install.

go to the dealer and have the system flashed.

the overhead displays on the new trucks have a firmware malfunction. do not floow the mpg on there either. do it by hand.

you may do an ol change now or wait.

did you say that you have the 6.7? that requires a smidgen more oil. i would call the dealership and see if there are any coupons for oil changes. makes it easier and not too spendy!!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
UpBranchLiner

????? Ran for how long...10 minutes?????

Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
SoNauty
Rookie

I guess it doesn't hurt to just get it changed. Sux tho... an oil change at my local stealership takes 6 years to do it seems! oh well... Just thought i would ask.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:44 AM
BLEWMONEY
Rookie

the factory says 7500 miles on a 6.7. keep in mind that is a maximum and should never be exceeded.i am the parts manager at a dodge dealer
and most service writers are not aware the diesels are different than gas as far as oil changes and time. mine is a 5.9 and is 7500 on the severe schedule i set my sights on between 5000 and 6000 when i get time and do it then. the 6.7 doesnt have a normal and severe maint schedule like the 5.9 it just has the one.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
handymanherb
Banned

Get a quick drain and do it yourself it less than 10 minutes and not make a mess at all.

Another member just got an sample back from the lab and it said he was good to go 1500 more miles and his light was on

Old 09-17-2007, 06:04 PM
CaptKidd

One of the reasons I bought my truck from the dealer I did is that they provide FREE lube, oil, and filter every 6k or 6 months as long as I own the truck.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: handymanherb

Get a quick drain and do it yourself it less than 10 minutes and not make a mess at all.

Another member just got an sample back from the lab and it said he was good to go 1500 more miles and his light was on
for warranty purposes, the dealer would hold record of oil changes and such if there was ever a problem and they tried not to pay for the repair

Old 09-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little info......

Oil Change Indicator System
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. This system will alert you when it is time to change your engine oil by displaying the words “Oil Change Required” on your Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate depending on your personal driving style. Driving styles such as frequent stop and go type driving can increase the frequency of the engine oil change. This is the result of more frequent regeneration of the exhaust aftertreatment system, which can decrease the life of the engine oil. Failure to change the engine oil per the maintenance schedule can result in internal engine damage.
For information on resetting the Oil Change Indicator message, refer to “Oil Change Required – If Equipped,” under “Personal Settings (Customer Programmable Features)'” in the “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” Section of this manual.
OIL CHANGE INDICATOR - RESET
To reset the “Oil Change Required” indicator (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure:[*]1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start engine).[*]2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.[*]3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Required...