Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fog Lamp Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 AM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lamp Install

Good post on the engine block heater cord. I missed it and paid for the dealer to install one... Now I have a fog lamp kit to install, anyone do this themselves or recommend for or against it as a DIYer?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 PM
mike_b
Default RE: Fog Lamp Install

Did mine on my 04. Got a kit off e-Bay. Was real easy. Hunting around for the connector took the longest.

Mike B

Old 10-03-2007, 02:53 PM
tampakenny

https://dodgeforum.com/m_770823/tm.htm

I got my kit off eBay for a 2001 4.7 SLT, which has the pre-wired connector. It actually came from a dealer that was listing on eBay. Anyway, there is a pic of the connector in the link above. I don't know if it's the same in later models or for the 2500/3500. It was a super easy install, though my passenger side bezel didn't fit quite right so it took some coaxing to get it aligned.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

You didn't say what model year. I owned a 98 Ram prior to my 04 CTD. On the 98, I had to remove the entire front bumper assembly to get at the mounting points. What should have been a couple of hours took about 6, with 2 hours dedicated to underdash wire hunting. Shredded my fingers as well, but if your hands are small enough, you should be able to do it without THAT much difficulty. One of the wires I had to find and get at was located behind the fuse box and I didn't want to disassemble the dash to get at it.

As for my '04, the truck came with the factory ones, although after I purchased it, a rock came up from somewhere in front of me and took out one of the lenses. Replacement was quite easy. It appears that installing them wouldn't have been too hard at all. Don't know about the underdash wiring, but I've done a little wiring under there for some lighting and satellite installation, and haven't had any problems.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

Oh yeah.... It is a 2006, kinda missed a key component to that question. Thanks for the info! I think I will dig into it and try to do it myself, however any other headsup things with this project would be welcome.
Thanks again

Old 10-03-2007, 09:23 PM
bert0168
Professional

You better double check the info on that connector. I have an 05 and put on a Mopar fog lamp kit. I have those connectors you see in the picture but they didn't get used. I think it depends on how the switch is wired in the cab.

The kit I got from Dodge had a seperate switch you had to drill and mount inside the cab on the dash. It also had a complete harness that was connected to the battery and spliced into the back of the light switch as well as the low beam wire at the headlght. They show you where to put everything including where to drill the switch in.

I would have liked the one that lets you pull the lamp **** to get fog lights on better. I think that is only ontruckswith fog lamps direct from the factory, butfor $75 I wasn't complaning.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To get the easiest kit to install on a 3rd gen, buy Mopar part # 82209047. This kit comes with a new headlight switch so you can use the original wiring that is pre-installed on all 3rd gens. Don't buy the kit that has the toggle switch that you have to drill a hole in the dash to install. The part # I listed can be installed in less than 30 mins...Call or email me if you need to buy one...

Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Now that is the kind of service we are looking for from dealers and/or parts department!!!

Advice on what you need to get the job done right, and a part number to buy it!

Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

I agree! Thank you so much for the heads up on the part number. I ran out really quick and looked, and my local guy did get the 1-82209047 for me, feelin' luck!
Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Fog Lamp Install