Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Seat Belt solenoids 1999 2500

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 07:46 PM
David Boisvert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ebay, about $125

Old 09-30-2020, 10:23 AM
Dave 39
Default Locking seat belts '99 ram 2500 4x4 ext cab

Originally Posted by GSP7
I just found this thread

I am having seat belt solinoid staying locked problem on my '99CTD, Drivers seat side

I found this Diagnose & Testing of the SCTM. I will try

There is also a wire color code chart I may post later if anyone else is haveing seat belt solenoid wont unlock problems

I found a bypass trick for the wires that plug into the SCTM.

The Pink(bat pwr), DarkBlue(ign,acc pwr), Orange/black(driverside lock solenoid), Orange/red(pass side lock solenoid...

Jump a wire from the Dark blue wire to the Orange/blk wire and that will unlock the drivers seat belt. Pink wire will work too, but that will drain your batt if left connected,I think

Another problem I had after wireing a jump from DB to OR/Bk(driverside) is some times when ignition is off I noticed my radio was lit up. Well with the jump connected sometimes my SCTM must be giveing power(though the pink wire) to the solenoid and the power goes backwards through my jump wire and keeps my ignition power on

This seat belt staying locked is a real nightmare.
I will try to diagnose it further. I dont want to go shell out $150 for a new SCTM because if read many people have replaced their SCTM and still have seatbelt wont unlock problems

Parts Service, Where did you get that Diagnosis and Testing wrie up you posted? Is that out of the '99 Dodge ram 2500 Service Manual?
Ok, like others I don't want to take a chance on buying a used SCTM at the price they are going for. So, I just purchased on Ebay

2x 3 Point Safety Seat Belt Straps Non-Retractable Auto Car Truck Extension Laps

for $25. I plan to install them and at least I'll have seat belts. I don't know what that will do for the vehicle inspection. BTW, I ran a scan and there are no codes showing up at all. Sometimes even the seat belt light goes off.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:26 AM
Dave 39

Does the seat belt light go out when you use this method?

Old 09-30-2020, 06:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 39
Does the seat belt light go out when you use this method?
What method? Are you asking yourself questions? No one else can see the link you posted, as that post has not been approved, If I don't get a response from you in a day or so, I am going to nuke all your posts, and ban you, as you look a LOT like a spammer.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 AM
Dave 39

I don't know why the link didn't show up. I don't know what you mean by "that post has not been approved". The post I was replying to was by GSP7 on 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM. Looking at it now, that was a long time ago. So here I am, not hiding from anyone andy not spamming anyone. If you look at my profile you will see that I've been around and online (since I ran my own BBS in 1982, although not in this forum) for many years. My FaceBook profile is under Dave Orcutt, nothing but my real name wherever I go.The Dodgeforum messaging format is new to me and probably why I didn't get the link right. Do what you have to do, I was just looking for help with a problem which is what I thought was the purpose of the forum to begin with.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 39
I don't know why the link didn't show up. I don't know what you mean by "that post has not been approved". The post I was replying to was by GSP7 on 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM. Looking at it now, that was a long time ago. So here I am, not hiding from anyone andy not spamming anyone. If you look at my profile you will see that I've been around and online (since I ran my own BBS in 1982, although not in this forum) for many years. My FaceBook profile is under Dave Orcutt, nothing but my real name wherever I go.The Dodgeforum messaging format is new to me and probably why I didn't get the link right. Do what you have to do, I was just looking for help with a problem which is what I thought was the purpose of the forum to begin with.
Ah, so you ARE a real person. Coolness.

Responding to really old threads generally isn't real successful. More often than not, the original posters aren't even around any more. (you can click on their username, go to their profile, and see when they last logged in.... but, I am going to bet you already knew that. )

The seat belt controller, while no long available new.... doesn't seem to fail real often. I think I have seen maybe three threads about it in the time I have been here, so, buying used is pretty safe. Maybe check and see if the entity you are buying from has any variety of warranty on it, if it doesn't work?

Going to an aftermarket harness IS an option, but, you would still need to contend with convincing the truck that the seat belts are indeed buckled. I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams, but, I *suspect* that just jumpering a couple wires on a connector *might* work.... Suppose it depends on the year of the truck.

In any event, you are indeed welcome here. So, Welcome to DF!

Old 10-01-2020, 12:34 PM
WWDiesel
Angry

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ah, so you ARE a real person. Coolness.
Responding to really old threads generally isn't real successful. More often than not, the original posters aren't even around any more. (you can click on their username, go to their profile, and see when they last logged in.... but, I am going to bet you already knew that. )
The seat belt controller, while no long available new.... doesn't seem to fail real often. I think I have seen maybe three threads about it in the time I have been here, so, buying used is pretty safe. Maybe check and see if the entity you are buying from has any variety of warranty on it, if it doesn't work?
Going to an aftermarket harness IS an option, but, you would still need to contend with convincing the truck that the seat belts are indeed buckled. I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams, but, I *suspect* that just jumpering a couple wires on a connector *might* work.... Suppose it depends on the year of the truck.
In any event, you are indeed welcome here. So, Welcome to DF!
Not entirely true; it is a widely known issue with the early generation Dodges that used these modules under the seat as described above. He had a legitimate question, but unfortunately I don't think there are any easy answers. I have a 98 that had a similar problem with the module, the belts would not unlock at all, so you could not even put them on after you started the engine. The Seat Belt Light stayed on all the time as well.
I first bought and replaced the module with a unit off eBay, it only lasted for a few weeks and the belts went back to doing the same thing. I then wired in a 12v power button so I could hold it to force the belt locks to release long enough so you could put on the belts. Then I discovered that if the belt reel is unlocked all the time, the inertia mechanism in the seat belt will still lock the belt in the case of frontal accident.
So I wired a 12v power supply when switch is in the on position to the module wire so the belt mechanism is unlocked any time the switch is turned on or engine is running. May not be the best solution but it solved my seat belt problem. Been like this for several years now. I simply put a piece of black tape over the seat belt light on the dash. If anyone knows a better way to fix this issue, I would love to know of it.
If your having a battery draining issue, simply cut/disconnect and tape up the wire going to pin 5 after installing jumpers from pin 4 to pins 7 & 8.
There really should have been a forced recall by the government to make Dodge fix this problem since it is safety related....

Old 10-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Dave 39

Thanks for the pin layout of that seat belt control module. For some reason I can't find the thread starter or I would have addressed this problem directly: I'm trying to remove the standard equipment driver side seat belt to replace it with a manual retractable one. I got both of the lower nuts off but the upper strap is connected to the body with a "star type" bolt. I need to buy a bit for my socket set to take it off. (No luck with vice gtrips). Do you or does anyone know the size of that "star type" bolt so I can buy a bit?
Dave

Old 03-22-2021, 12:02 PM
blambram
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking seatbelt solenoid

Thank you ,to all who contributed to this thread. I was able to fix the battery drain problem ,,by isolating the sctm it stop the clicking of the turn signal solenoid . fortunately I had a spare from another job and it remedied the drain. A million thanks Blambram

Old 08-18-2023, 06:05 PM
031602truax
Default Fire at the connectors

Originally Posted by jwwcincy
BEWARE OLDER TRUCK OWNERS!!!! THIS LITTLE CIRCUIT ALMOST BURNED DOWN MY TRUCK !!!!!!

I had just parked and was doing a couple of things next to my '98 1500. The windows were down and I happened to be looking through the cab and saw smoke. I opened the doors and started searching and under the driver's seat found a connector (turns out to be connector 360) ON FIRE!! Didn't have an extinguisher handy so grabbed the bundle closest to me and pulled. Thankfully the connector separated and stopped the short.

The question i have for you guys is, do you think this was just a dirty connector, or maybe I damaged it shoving stuff under the seat on some previous day (not that day)? Or do you think the SCM was faulting in some way that caused an overcorrect during the 30 second window? Is there any way you can think of to check figure this out, especially since it sounds like from this thread that I won't be able to find a SCM at the auto parts store.

Noticed I had an electrical fire under the driver seat… woke up to my horn going off and on with a few minutes between. Then found the wire harness issue. Would the Seat Belt Timer Module cause this?

Quick Reply: Seat Belt solenoids 1999 2500