Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

48RE Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Airguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48RE Trans Problem

I have gone through four Governor Pressure Sensor/Solenoid packs. Are there any after market replacement parts that would get rid of this weak point? I pull a 39” Weekend Warrior 5th Wheel about twice a month. The Trans is currently stock, however I am going to upgrade to the billet converter and shift kit in the next month or so.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Bigriver
Default RE: 48RE Trans Problem

Hey Airguy, I had concerns regarding my transmisson when towing my 37' 5'ver, and decided to bite the bullet and go with an ATS stage 4 billet trans. No problems over the past 15000 miles with towing in the summer heat and thru the upper rockies. You have a great truck, just the transmisson I would watch closely.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

dont have a 06...but my 02 sucks stock for hauling with all the upgrades! so monday mine goes into the shop to have the tranny built out the a$$$$$!

and yes, it cost alot of $$$ its everything the ATS has in theirs insept im not buying it from ATS!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:32 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

The ats is a insane tranny and I drool at it when I hear the name. if only I had the money to plunk down on it.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: NCcummins

and yes, it cost alot of $$$ its everything the ATS has in theirs insept im not buying it from ATS!
You might want to look closer at the ATS. As with mine I have the billet steel flex plate, what a difference there was from the OEM. The ATS plate must have weighed around 25 lbs, and the OEM looked like a frisbee in comparrison. As with the ATS 5 disk torgue converter, it swallowed up the room in the bell housing creating little space to slide your finger between the two. I also like the drain plug on the torgue converter itself to drain at fluid changes.And last but not least, the 150,000 mile warranty !
Sometimes you get what you pay for, and I beleive that's the case with the ATS transmisson...................just my opinion.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Airguy

How does the ATS trans do with the factory computer?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:54 AM
sharx ram
Champion

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

The ats is a insane tranny and I drool at it when I hear the name. if only I had the money to plunk down on it.
Youd still get stuck Jimmy hehehe

Old 10-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Airguy

How does the ATS trans do with the factory computer?

First let me say that I'm told that the factory computer allows for a certain amount of slippage from the OEM torgue converter. Anything outside of those paramaters, such as over slippage when the torgue converter is worn out, the computer throwsthe code p1740.

The ATS 5disk torgue converter is very effecient in the slippage factor. The valve body works under higher pressures and the T/C locks up quicker partly due to the adjustment on the T/C controller inside the cab.

Due to the slippage factor being less than the OEM standards, the computer reads that as being outside of it's parameters. On rare occasion, it will throw the code, which I promptly re-set, and erase with my Edge Attitude. I've talked to ATS, and the dealership about this all and the concensus is the same between them both.

I'm truely not a techno mechanic, just a normal guy that decided to upgrade what could be a weak link to our great CTD's.
My combined total weight for passengers, fuel, 5'ver and truck came in at 26,660 lbs at a local cat scales.
We have towed in the northern rockies and the hot no man lands of the mid west. I chose not to take anything at chance when it came to the reliability of my truck while vacationing with my family.
The ATS transmisson is still a 48RE transmisson, just running with a heavy load of steroids !

Quick Reply: 48RE Trans Problem