Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Shame on me !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:51 PM
woligator
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shame on me !!!

U know the kind of thing: no problem honey changing my oil wont take long maybe 15-20 and im back...
Well... 1 1/2 hours later i show up at house whitout my shirt neither pants on,whit the supper cooling and a mad wife and whit my truck making some stranges sounds for the slippery straps.

i changed my oil usual way,put a new filter on and started the engine,let the pressure go around 20lbs and for the fun of it revved it a tad....
since the music was really loud i didnt notice a noise that i should have before revving it...OIL SPLASH EVERYWERE...in the windshield,on the fenders,engine,bumpers,light pulley and straps...everywere...

Damn i tough,my filter is not tight enough...
WRONG!!!!
I climbed back in my truck noticing it was really dark now around 6PM ...
this time i closed the music and let the engine start...pressure goes around 30psi.. and then i revved it up again only to hear mad dripping on the ground so i stoped again the engine....
WTF.... DAMN i didnt checked for the rubber band on the old filter....maybe its still on the block....
now i got no light and a oily filter in my hand ...pretty easy!
The rubber band was still there so i tossed it and screw the thing back while trying to align it whit the base whitout even seeing what i was doing... When i was done i remembered i had a flashlight in my glove box...
well i dont need it anymore so i climbed back in my truck to start the engine and eveything is fine.
GREAT IM DONE.
so i get back under the truck to grab my wrench and all..whitout my flashligh cuz i dont need it right?
I slipped in the oil that dripped on the floor and fall right on my back ....
now im full of oil and noticing there is a full gallon of high$ syntetic oil on my floor....
(i had buyed 4 gallon for the next time so i was ok)

Old 10-20-2007, 08:10 PM
jh
Rookie
Default RE: Shame on me !!!

I'm sorry for your pain, but that is a funny story. Thanks for sharing.[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 10-20-2007, 08:37 PM
finny
All Star

i guess just on of those days

Old 10-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Bigriver

Yeah Man......... we all have had a moment or two like yours. Glad to hear of no damage to the engine or your back, just the pride. I'm with ya on oil changes, if I can do it myself, and I do care about my equipment, I don't mind getting my hands into it.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:13 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Glad you are not hurt nor your rig. It could have been worse. you could have forgot to tighten the filter, slipped on the oil and look like Sharx heHeHe

Old 10-20-2007, 09:14 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

What shark look like???

Old 10-20-2007, 09:17 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

She pretty girl in my sig is Sharx[:'(]

Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Jimmy likes the heavy hitters, and well sharx is one of the heaviest around

Old 10-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'll bet you a million dollars that'll never happen to ya again !!

Glad to hear it was nothing major and that you easily figured it out. Next up, the finger touch drain valve huh?

Old 10-21-2007, 02:11 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

LMAO! Wow, I had something similar to that happen, just not that bad. I was changing the oil on the van for the first time, it was getting late but we have had 2 of the same model vans before and I could always change the oil in about 10 minutes so I just did it. It was pretty much dark by time I got the factory filter off (Major PITA, they put those damned things on so tight) and put it all back together, started her up, all was well so I shut her off and went inside. The next day we went over to autozone to get some parts for my neon, when we pull up I get out and see a line of oil from the street all the way to the van. I get down there and there is oil everywhere. So guess what I got to do with auto zone's 13mm wrench, $5.00 filter wrench, $10.00 oil, and in there parking lot? Yep, you guessed it. That sucked, since it was dark I didn't see the seal was stuck to the block. Like mayfair said, I doubt we will ever do it again.

Quick Reply: Shame on me !!!