Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What to do(OT-College stuff)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:27 PM
ds06
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do(OT-College stuff)

Ok, so i'm a sophmore at Virginia Tech (don't mention BC right now or i'll flip...that was rediculous). Majoring in General Engineering. OK, so right now i have a 2.3 gpa, I need to pull my gpa up to a 2.5 to get into Mechanical...that's what i wanna do. I'm from Baltmore and havin some issues down here. On top of having a rediculous schedule (statics, physics 2, and multivariable calc.) i don't get along with a roommate, his gf, their friends, etc. I'm just starting to get tired of some of the people down here. I don't really have many friends down here so living solutions for next year are looking sketchy. So I'm thinkin maybe it would be a better idea to transfer to umbc since its closer and i'd be able to see my family and girlfriend a lot more. I know, don't transfer just for my gf...and i'm not, but she is a big part of my life. I'm prob. just venting and will end up getting into ME and finding awesome people to live with next year yada yada but i just wanted to hear what you guys had to think. Most of you are older (sharx) and wiser(drew) or older and not so much wiser (mayfair) so i'd like to hear what you guys think. Teach me oh wise ones.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What to do(OT-College stuff)

Just concentrate on your education. Study alittle harder and you will be fine. DO NOT let other people stop you from doing what you know needs to be done. Stay at VT, it appears to be a great school. If your roommate's GF or friends come over, go some place else and remember that you are doing this for your future. You may have to struggle and sacrafice some now, but you will see the payoff down the road. Live your life for you and noone else. Also GF's come and go but an education/degree are forever and noone can take that away from you. You are just in a slump right now, buckle down and study even harder. Ten years from now, you will look back and appreciate the hard work and sacrafice that you endured. Just my opinion...........

Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 PM
ds06
Professional

no i hear you, and i'm deffinately gonna live somewhere else next year, and yea, i probably am in a lil slump, either way, i'm gonna take summer courses at umbc this summer, hopefully to get ahead, and possiblly graduate early, that'll cost less in the end anyway.

BTW, this girl is awesome and i know i'm young and ya'll think i'm crazy, but i deffinately think she's the one.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:31 AM
sabersix

I'm a VT grad also. I went through some hard times with grades and girls, but I'm glad I stayed. Not sure what your interests are, but I'd say find a club or group that has shared interests (Jeepers, off-roading, Cummins) or academics (engineering) and hang/room with them.

As for ME, I too started out in GE, but did poorly in 5-hr Calc and Chemistry. I switched majors to Technology Ed (formerly know as Industrial Arts Ed), i.e. Shop class. Tech Ed was much more hands on with classes in automotive mechanics, wood working, welding, metals (foundry and shop), computers, plastics, photography, etc. The actual education courses kind of sucked, but I wasn't planning to teach anyway. [:-] Anyway, just an alternative you might consider.

Good luck. Go Hokies!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 AM
JDH
Rookie

Throw all of your friends and family on the alter of a colledge education, you will have new friends soon enough and the family will understand. I did not understand this and dropped out after 4 years. I have spent the last 20 paying for it I am now a registered Land Surveyor and feel I have beaten the set back but get a degree it will open doors for you. If you think colledge is tough life after college is tougher and it is for the rest of your life, not just four years. The college will have places to study and you will find friends that think like you. Do not think that your roommate should be a friend it is best if he is not. I never talk to the "friends " i made in college, I don't call and they don't call. You will make a new life in a new place that your education takes you to and it will be more interesting than you can imagine at this point. In the big picture 4 years is a blink of the eye.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:24 AM
CutterW
Captain

My advice is to try and get to know people in your major or like Saber said in your interest. Right now my roomates aren't who I hang out with but they dont bother me any. Next semester 4 of us already have it planned out because we are the 4 who get along, hang out and study together. I'm going into Natural Gas Compression and I dont think it could get any better right now. Chevron pretty much just offered me one of the best deals out there, where I wanna go, the boss I want and the pay is above alot of the other companies. So just focus, work hard and tell people to shut the F**K UP.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:28 PM
ds06
Professional

thanks for your input guys, I think I am in a bit of a slump and just freakin out with the "what-ifs" and i'm getting tired of people always askin me why i'm depressed or why i'm not gettin drunk. I really get tired of people caring about what i'm doing and why i'm not falling down drunk. I mean, i understand wanting to get drunk every once in a while, but every thurs. fri. sat. night, that's rediculous. I guess i just can't wait to be surrounded by people that are actuallymy friends.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:21 PM
CutterW
Captain

don't let em bother you. I did the whole drunk thing my first semester last year and made a 1.3 i quit all that and made a 3.7

Old 10-28-2007, 04:58 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

You picked that school for a reason? If so, then you would be doing yourself a huge disservice to let someone else decide if you stay or leave. Other peoples thoughts about you are none of your business. (Think about that for a minute). More importantly, how you conduct your life is NONE of their business. Do what you need to do to finish out YOUR plans, and don't worry about the party loosers! You got into that school, which means you have what it takes to graduate that school, so just do it.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:37 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

It's all about communications. Some people don't realize how much tougher an engineering curriculum is. Not knockingarts andbusiness majors here, but I remember the days when I would see the business majors partying all the time and still graduate on time.

Engineering at a lot of universities is taking 5 years now to graduate without too much partying distractions.

Your dorm has a RA, Resident Assistant or Dorm Mom or someone. If you don't know how to approach your roomates or don't communicate easily with them they may just think you are a stick in the mud and truly don't understand how much you are struggling. (Emotionally, face it because you don'thave anyone locally to lean on and acedemically, because you are inone of thetoughest major.)

Talk it over withsomeone, talkto your RA, student advisor or counsellor and see if they can offer some advice or assist in mediation.

As for extracurricular activities, you are in the creme of the crop of locations. Blueridge Mountains, Shenandoah National Park, Apalachian Trail. Go camping somewhere or just go hikea trail. Outdoor stuff you can do on your own and take in everything or find a friend and go together. Get out on weekends, don't just sit around the dorm. Clear your head.

Quick Reply: What to do(OT-College stuff)