Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

pictures of YOUR manual lockout hubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
rootercycles
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pictures of YOUR manual lockout hubs

Hey all,

Could some of you that have converted your front hubs to manual lockouts post good pictures of them here? I have ordered the EMS kit and wanted to get some ideas on how you guys set them up. I am curious if you guys are having the outer hubs painted, powdercoated or just leaving them raw.
What were some of the challenges in the conversion?
Do I need special tools to do the work? (The EMS directions don't specify any tools I don't have, but if there is anything I need to make it easier, let me know)

Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: pictures of YOUR manual lockout hubs

I think there are just one or two here that have done the manual hub conversion. . .unfortunately they dont frequent here too much.

go over to TDR, there are quite a few thread on this there.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:08 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

This picture was taken when they were still black but I painted my outerhubs silver to blend in with the chrome hub caps. My paint cracked though and needs redoing. I believe high temperature paint would have prevented the cracks from appearing. Let me know if you want your stock hub caps bored out I can pop some holes in them. I wouldn't go the expense of powder coat cause they will get scratched rotating tires unless you're extremely careful but those big heavy wheels and tires it's almost impossible to pull them off without scratching up the hubs.

With regards to posting here I never did mainly because I was on a stupid dialup connection and this site was always such a hog to load. I just got a new laptop this weekend with verizon wireless broadband and everything loads upsmokin fast now. I always liked the comraderie of this site over any of the other cummins related forums I ever visited and intend to spend more time on here since I've gotten myconnection problem solved.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

You'll need a 6 point spanner socket which can be picked up at any autozone etc. I believe the big nut on the factory unit bearing is 1 1/8 so you'll need a big impact for that. Air power would be nice breaking things loose. All the bolts will be stubborn and getting the unit bearing itself out once you have everything loose will be a pain in the rear. You'll need a good torque wrnech. That's about it as far as I can tell. I believe dynatracs has their excellent instructions (which will probably be a little different from your EMS) posted on their website somewhere. Good luck and be sure to post pics!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 11-02-2007, 03:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I'd also like to see some more installed pics... the few I've seen make it kinda hard to tell how much they stick out beyond the rim... if at all with aftermarket ones...

Old 11-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they stick out pretty far steve. . .I'd guess about 1-1.5 inches or so on stock rubber.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: pictures of YOUR manual lockout hubs