Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil change for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM
threesixoh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil change for the first time

I cant get one of those around the oil filter on my dak, there's just no room. instead I use a big *** pair of chanell lock pliers to take off the old filter. it majorly screws up the filter, so you wouldnt want to use it to put the new one on.

oh, and like jimmy said, be ready for a loooot of oil to come out. I used to change the oil on my dad's 99 3500, and I generally had to pressure wash the undercarriege after each change because of the royal mess all that oil made when it drained out.

Oh, and dunno if this is the first oil change that you've done ever, or the first one on your new truck, but be sure and push in as you unscrew the oil plug, it will keep it from seeping oil through the threads as you're unscrewing it. same deal with the filter, just little things to keep from making a huge mess. And when your priming the oil filter before you install it, pour the oil slowly or it will overfill the filter before it gets a chance to all soak into the filter. It's kinda like filling a torque converter, but it holds a lot less oil. And dont fill it up all the way either, I usually only fill mine up 3/4 of the way so that I dont spill any oil when I'm installing the new filter. If it isnt full all the way you can tilt it around a little bit if you need to, without spilling much/any oil.

But other than that, I dont really have any specific advice for your truck, I've never done an oil change on one, only on my dad's 99 and my 2000 dakota r/t. But if it's anything like either of those two trucks, it shouldnt be hard at all, at least not after the first time
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

A couple of oil change tricks I learned on this forum:

1. Break the filter loose with whatever tool you're using, then slip a gallon-sized Ziploc bag over the bottom of the filter and continue with removing it. The bag will trap all the oil that would normally leak all over your hands and driveway.

2. When you install the new filter, coat the gasket with grease instead of oil. It makes removing the filter easier at your next oil change. Also, be sure to fill the filter with oil before you install to minimize the amount of time it takes to pressurize the oil lines with your fresh oil.

Also, I agree with threesixoh that a large Channel Lock pliers is great for removing tight oil filters. However, there is no room to use such a tool on a late-model Ram CTD.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:23 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

ORIGINAL: Joel_MD

Also, I agree with threesixoh that a large Channel Lock pliers is great for removing tight oil filters. However, there is no room to use such a tool on a late-model Ram CTD.
Definitely not, you can get them on it, but forget trying to turn the filter.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 PM
olddodge
Rookie

I like to take a punch and put a hole in the bottom of the filter and catch the oil in the drain pan.This way does not seem to be as much mess.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:46 PM
UpBranchLiner

QUICK DRAIN FROM GENO'S! Gold star for me today, I beat you all to the punch.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 PM
UpBranchLiner

Wait a second.......Mayfair must be sick still, he would have pimped the QUICK DRAIN with pix. Strange. very strange.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 233 Likes on 217 Posts

ORIGINAL: cujo

ORIGINAL: RamQuadHD

Hey guys, I'm about to change the oil myself for the first time on this truck. Is there anything that I should know first orsome special steps? I tried finding a thread here but no luck. 2006 CTD dually. Thanx.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_725240/tm.htm

This thread is kind of buried.
not any more... added to the DIY list at the top.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 AM
cujo
Captain

Thanks Steve. I never could understand why that thread was were it was. Simple task very well documented.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 233 Likes on 217 Posts

I had no idea it was even there otherwise it would have been in the list. If there are any others you know of that arent on the list, let me know and I'll add them. I think having that thread at the top simplifies the search for the DIY writeups, as long as we can get those who are searching for the info to look into that thread it would be better.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: FroneDaddy

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

You can forget those wrap around filter tools.They're worthless for these trucks there's no way to get your hands in there.
That's what I use and have had no problems
I'd love to see you geta filter off with one of those on the first oil change where it's clear coated on there. Not gonna happen... If you ever try it my way you'll be tossing that wrap around filter wrench in the garbage where it belongs.

Quick Reply: Oil change for the first time