Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil change for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:11 AM
w4phj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil change for the first time

When prefilling the filter, don't forget to fill thru the small outer holes only. This procedure will filter the oil before it enters the engine. The large center hole is the filter oil outlet hole and if you prefil using it, you will allow unfiltered oil to enter your engine.

Don't forget to grease the tie rod end zerks and if a 4X4, the front driveshaft rear grease point using a needle.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 AM
FroneDaddy
Captain

ORIGINAL: w4phj

When prefilling the filter, don't forget to fill thru the small outer holes only. This procedure will filter the oil before it enters the engine. The large center hole is the filter oil outlet hole and if you prefil using it, you will allow unfiltered oil to enter your engine.

Don't forget to grease the tie rod end zerks and if a 4X4, the front driveshaft rear grease point using a needle.

That makes a huge mess if your note very careful, and it's not like your pouring dirty oil into it to begin with. I've always filled through the center hole and never had a problem.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: w4phj

Who cares if fresh oil is unfiltered? It's new! Do you fill your filter with used oil?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
roadrnnr
Rookie

ORIGINAL: FroneDaddy

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

You can forget those wrap around filter tools.They're worthless for these trucks there's no way to get your hands in there.
That's what I use and have had no problems
Me too. That is the only way I got mine off the first time. That plastic thing Geno's sells is worthless!

Quick Reply: Oil change for the first time