Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

edge egt probe

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: edge egt probe

ORIGINAL: mileshuff

I strongly disagree with putting grease on the bit. The idea of that is to get the shavings to stick to the bit which to me is flawed. Drill bits are designed to draw chips up and out. If you use grease theres a good chance a grease laden chip will end up inside and make it difficult to vacuum out. Start with a smal drill and work your way up one size at a time. That will produce very small sized chips making problems much less likely.
worked great when I did it.... twice and i know many others have done it that way. What you should be surprised about is " Banks " doing it with the engine running. They claim it works fine and the chips blow right threw. Not something I would try.... grease sounds real good compared to that.

Besides, it size bit you have to use has wide channels and you're not going to draw everything out.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:10 PM
kevhillman

I just kept blowing the shavings off the manifold when drilling, once it was through, i left the bit in and made sure all the shavings were cleared away before pulling it out. Everything works great.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:07 AM
6inarow
Professional

I drill and tap all of my own and cust installs with the engine running, gets a little warm but have never had a comeback, IMO, If you want true safe reaings you need to put the probe pre turbo.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

I did mine by drilling a very small hole, then increasing a few thousandths of an inch at a time until I got to the right size, then sucked around real good with a shop vac, then tapped the hole and sucked'er out again...worked fine for me.

Quick Reply: edge egt probe