Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Wheel Hop!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 PM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheel Hop!

fireman Ive seen half ton and 3/4 ton trucks break their axles down there, a friendly tow out of the sand will cost you 200 bucks by another truck or close to a grand if a wrecker has to come, most people won't tow out a 4x2 as they're morons and deserve it. People may have to bag their mud tires as they are the worst type for sand.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:47 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

Yep, I agree M/T tires suck in the sand. As for bent axles, I'm fine there. Courtesy of Jason Hughes Racing (HRC). As far as charging people for getting stuck. Everyone out here in the sand box. Helps each other out. No need to charge people. There is always your buddy/group or someone else willing to lend a hand. You don't know, one day it can be yourself stuck (reading the terrian wrong, it happens).

Old 05-11-2008, 11:04 PM
RamItOne

oh yeah i know, but the 2wd people are morons, and since a flatbeds gonna run 1,000 bucks 200 bucks it a good deal, and when i say 60 miles down, thats 60 miles down from any public roads, not like 60 miles down but still running along houses. sometimes ill go out there and wont see anyone for 2 days, plus you need a CB to call for a wrecker anyways.... my buddy has muds, first time he went down there he wanted to lead, well after pulling him out twice, and once having to tow him up and over a dune he got to see my *** for the rest of the day...
ive been looking at those nitto dune graps but they just look funny on the website and i havent found a pic of them on a truck...

Old 05-11-2008, 11:08 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

id never had weel hop problems,prolly beasty 9800lbs fat *** is helping traction

Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

oh yeah i know, but the 2wd people are morons, and since a flatbeds gonna run 1,000 bucks 200 bucks it a good deal, and when i say 60 miles down, thats 60 miles down from any public roads, not like 60 miles down but still running along houses. sometimes ill go out there and wont see anyone for 2 days, plus you need a CB to call for a wrecker anyways.... my buddy has muds, first time he went down there he wanted to lead, well after pulling him out twice, and once having to tow him up and over a dune he got to see my *** for the rest of the day...
ive been looking at those nitto dune graps but they just look funny on the website and i havent found a pic of them on a truck...
My Toyo A/T's are decent (tough sidewall), but BFG Baja Projects lock it up and are the best for sand. Wouldn't drive them on the road (due to the cut in the tread design, major death wobble), but made for off road. General Tires are coming out w/ an off road tire. KORE was R&D the tires and run them on thier race truck. Great results at the Mint 400 Race.

37" tires are the best for off roading. 35" will get you by (17" wheel).

BTW- not to hijack this guys thread, I gave my answer up above in my previous posts.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 AM
burban2002
Veteran

I've only had wheel hop once. I was trying to backup our driveway in the snow and damn that sucker bounced and hopped around. I thought for sure something was going to break.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 AM
dieselram
Captain

With my 35's on, I had wheel hop from a dead stop on anything but dry pavement (stock). Now with the new engine, I have wheel hop 24/7. Have a set of ladder bars awaiting install in the garage.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: firemansdodge

As far as charging people for getting stuck. Everyone out here in the sand box. Helps each other out. No need to charge people. There is always your buddy/group or someone else willing to lend a hand. You don't know, one day it can be yourself stuck (reading the terrian wrong, it happens).
I agree with you 100%. What happened to the day when people would help others out because it was the right thing to do? Now days it's I'll help you out but only if you grease the palm of my hand with some money and if you don't pay me or call a tow truck and pay them. No wonder this country is falling a part and going to hell.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:13 AM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: DBLR

I agree with you 100%. What happened to the day when people would help others out because it was the right thing to do? Now days it's I'll help you out but only if you grease the palm of my hand with some money and if you don't pay me or call a tow truck and pay them. No wonder this country is falling a part and going to hell.
bah youre saving the guy 800 bucks!!!!
and the 2wd guys saw the sign thats clearly posted 4x4 ONLY!!! at least bring some boards... and whats really dumb are the guys that get stuck out by the surf, now i have plowed through the surf as well but it was a risk i was willing to take, truck was paid for day 1 and its insured..

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop!