Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?

The smarty doesn't enable the high idle. That has to be done through the dealer or some programmers like the bully dog can do it.

It does adjust the ABS for tire size and adjusts the speed limiter up to 250mph.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
cujo
Captain

ORIGINAL: Methos

Yeah cujo, I swear I saw somewhere that it did too. Didn't see it mentioned in the manual though so thought we'd see if someone could confirm.

I swear this is a disease.... I just picked up a superchips a couple months back and now I'm thinking about selling that to try a smarty.
Yeah, I got my finger on the trigger and it's itchin.....Couple of none truck related issues I have to take care of first.[:-]

Old 11-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Methos
Veteran

ORIGINAL: triton

and adjusts the speed limiter up to 250mph.

I don't think I even want to know how a truck like these would feel at 250mph. Oh, hell, who am I kidding... YES I DO! [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 11-30-2007, 09:57 AM
cujo
Captain

The smarty doesn't enable the high idle. That has to be done through the dealer or some programmers like the bully dog can do it.

It does adjust the ABS for tire size and adjusts the speed limiter up to 250mph.
I thought for sure I saw something that it did and the high idle even would remain if you put it back to stock. I can't remember if it was someone's post or I read it in the literature. Could it have been for 2nd gen trucks I saw that with the 3 cylinder high idle? I dunno I've been reading everything Smarty I can get a hold of, its all starting to blur together.

Edit:

Here's the link where I saw it.

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/smjr03do.html

Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Well here is the specs right off the Smarty website and it does say it enables 3 cylinder high idle in all softwares. I'll be damned if I can find any instructions for it anywhere.

Fast guide to Smarty’s special Features
[/ul]

CaTCHER software's inside

Ten different performance levels.

Fastest download in the industry, up to three times faster than the competition, a typical ECM update takes about 3.5 to 5 minutes, depending on the truck model.

ABS tire height updates in just few seconds.

Not traceable in the stock setting. Smarty leaves no footprint.

Cold weather 3 Cylinder High Idle is enabled in all softwares .

Reads Diagnostic Trouble Codes in plain text.

No tools required, no fuses to pull.

USB built in for simple updates .

Most complete keyboard in the industry.

Reliable, it works off your OEM hardware.

Programmable Speed Limiter from 25 to 250 mph[/ul]

Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 AM
cujo
Captain

I also think I read that Common Rails don't do the 3 cylinder high idle?

Or is it the difference between automatically idling up when its cold vs the cruise control option using the Smarty?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I found this on another forum...............

Ok gang...

I found a new toy for the 2 Nd Gen trucks now... We all know that our Cummins engines don't like to be idle for long period of time. And hence why Dodge/Cummins came out with this TSB...

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/18-019-01.htm

But since there is several things that are required to trigger this high idle / 3 cylinder idle it make it kind of usless to someone in the southern states that doesn't see really cold temps.

But that is all gone now... I figured out a way to trigger the high idle & 3 cylinder idle and I can warm up my truck in about 3-5 mintues now.

REQUIREMENTS:
The TSB flash by a Dodge dealer or borrow a Smarty for a brief moment and run a program and reset to stock.

Now once you have the flash to enable high ilde and 3 cylinder idle then you can do this trick. Now I'm doing it rather crude right now but going to get the part to build this. Remove the connector to the IAT sensor. Take a resistor (Green, Blue, Orange, Gold) 65K Ohms and plug it in the connector of the wiring harness. This will make the ECM think that the IAT is seeing 13*F and trigger the high idle program.

Now it will idle for about 2 minutes before activaing the software. Then it will ramp up to 1,200 RPM. Then it will turn on the 3 cylinder idle. At this point if you have a exhaust brake turn it on. It will make the pyro rise all the way to about 800-850*F... Yes it will be warm!

This program will continue till the coolant reaches 175*F then the program is cancelled and normal idle continues.

[align=center]I'm in the process of build this without cutting wires or making a wiring nightmare. So bare with me and I'll share my idea with you all...[/align]

Old 11-30-2007, 12:20 PM
triton
Record Breaker

yeah, I guess I was incorrect. Apparently it does in the new software. It's doesn't however have the ability to turn it on and off like I though was being asked. I guess it's written into the code.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:25 PM
cujo
Captain

yeah, I guess I was incorrect. Apparently it does in the new software. It's doesn't however have the ability to turn it on and off like I though was being asked. I guess it's written into the code.
Yeah, it looks like it's more of an automatic idle up when its cold. Not controlled with the cruise control.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

In that case, the likelyhood that I will ever see mine activate would be NEVER !!!!!!
We see freezing weather maybe once or twice a year if we are lucky.

Quick Reply: POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?