Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
roadking096
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?

You can log me in the "interested" column.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

What is the best stack with the Edge "Hot" Juice?
I'm not real sure Sharx man. You can stack a MP-8 on it which will increase rail pressure and you should be able to stack any downloaded with it.

The Edge is a nice product especailly with all the features it has and there's nothing at all wrong with it. Like I mentioned though... the smarty out powers them all at the moment.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

This may be a silly question, but does the Smarty only play with Duration and Timing?
Another Silly question...Not sure you would know the answer or not, and maybe I should call Bob Wagner on this one (I think that is the guy that owns that company)Does the smarty actually download the current programming in the vehicle and store it, then put THAT programming back in or does it put some generic Factory software back into the ECU? If it put "YOUR" programming back in with an obvious re-write of current mileage which I am sure is somehow embedded in there, this thing would be the cat's *** and it would seem truely no way detectable. If it is the latter I am sure it could be found by someone with a few brain cells.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:09 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Twoforme2

This may be a silly question, but does the Smarty only play with Duration and Timing?
Another Silly question...Not sure you would know the answer or not, and maybe I should call Bob Wagner on this one (I think that is the guy that owns that company)Does the smarty actually download the current programming in the vehicle and store it, then put THAT programming back in or does it put some generic Factory software back into the ECU? If it put "YOUR" programming back in with an obvious re-write of current mileage which I am sure is somehow embedded in there, this thing would be the cat's *** and it would seem truely no way detectable. If it is the latter I am sure it could be found by someone with a few brain cells.
Bob doesn't own the company but, he's there to answer any of your questions. The company is based in Italy and Bob is the North American main distributor. I'm not completely sure what all is manipulated but, duration and timing are a part of it.

From what I understand about the software, only certain values are changed, such as duration and timing. Most of the original programming is left as is. There's a lot to an ECM which is why a number of programmers don't and haven't worked on the newer CAN-Bus. The smarty has always been able to.

As I stated, I'm not connected to them at all but, when a company posts in bold letters on their website " not detectable " they've taken that ball into their hands.

Programming that would be in your truck that is manipulated wouldn't have anything to do with the mileage. If that was the case, everytime you went to the dealer for a reflash, you'd lose everything you're talking about. Only some values are changed for performance, mileage and better towing depending on which of the smarty softwares you use. Then when you return to stock software, the smarty loads the lastest D/C values for the parameters changed.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:16 PM
mytowrig
Captain

you can call me interested as long as it will work with a monitor. i'd like to get the edge a2 for all my gauges, and the added bonus of gps. i'd like to get a smarty now because of warrany. i dont need the monitor to control it, i know that won;t work...just to monitor

Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Thanks, I have been pondering this for a while. It would seem if there is a way to do what they are doing with a programmer, one ought to be able to come up with something like EFI Live (I think that is what they call it) that the Duramax guys have. Or a system like the hotrod guys use with a laptop (there are a few out there) With something like that you could fine tune the hell out of everything, and not be limited by what is available to you, That is of course if you had the ability to interpret what you are reading, or someone built an interface that would allow those that can't the ability to do so.
Sorry...being a "how things work kinda geek" I have taken your topic off on another tangent...My apologies.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:20 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I asked Bob to come and join this post. I don't know that he's a member but, if he shows up, you guys can PM directly or even email him now with any questions I didn't answer. I'm just a user and can only give you my experience with it and have that backed up by a lot of other users.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:21 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Im interested when you get a price let me know...

Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Twoforme2

Thanks, I have been pondering this for a while. It would seem if there is a way to do what they are doing with a programmer, one ought to be able to come up with something like EFI Live (I think that is what they call it) that the Duramax guys have. Or a system like the hotrod guys use with a laptop (there are a few out there) With something like that you could fine tune the hell out of everything, and not be limited by what is available to you, That is of course if you had the ability to interpret what you are reading, or someone built an interface that would allow those that can't the ability to do so.
Sorry...being a "how things work kinda geek" I have taken your topic off on another tangent...My apologies.
Yeah, EFI would be the mac daddy but the problem there is, the software in the ECM is patented and proprietary to D/C. EFI completely manipulates the software and changes all kinds of parameters..... anything you want. You pretty much have to be a computer genius and know engines inside and out to be able to write software like that and I bet there's only a hand full of people in the world that can do it.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM
cujo
Captain

I'd like to get some more info as well. I'm in the interested, but still researching mode regarding both the Sr and Jr versions.

Quick Reply: POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?