Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?

I'm not associated with the company but, have done some beta testing for them. IMO, it's one of the best boxes out there if you like power, smoke, mpg's and tuneabilty. New softwares are always being created for it.

My truck is somewhat built but, using the smarty I made 700hp. Anyway, it may be possible to get a little better price on them if several joined in to make the purchase. It's not a group buy because they don't do that.

I bring this up because I see a lot of people hear asking about the other brand boxes out there but, not the smarty. Myself and many others are very happy with the product and I thought I'd try and help some here.

If you'd be interested in one, just post to this thread. If we can get 5 or 10 guys/girls interested, I can let you know what to do from there :-)

Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Default RE: POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?

I don't know much about programmers, uploaders, chips, ect. But I do plan on adding modest performance upgrades very soon. Not looking for a race truck but somewhere close to an added 100hp is fine with me.
So if you can enlighten me on what it is and how it works compared to some of the others, I may be down for one.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

I don't know much about programmers, uploaders, chips, ect. But I do plan on adding modest performance upgrades very soon. Not looking for a race truck but somewhere close to an added 100hp is fine with me.
So if you can enlighten me on what it is and how it works compared to some of the others, I may be down for one.
you can go here to read about the programmer... Smarty

It's biggest claim to fame is that fact it's not detectable by the dealer as long as it's taken back to stock before you go. You're able to download several different softwares for it. Each softare has 9 different levels of power for 1/2 of stock power to #9 which is a ton of power. It's not recommended to go over #3 on a stock transmission. It helps improve fuel mileage dramatically. The one raw back is, it's not adjustable on the fly which isn't that big a deal though. Once you find the software and level that works good, you can just leave it.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
dtb86001
Professional

ive never heard of it. does it work like the edge or bully dog? give us some details or pics of the install.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
triton
Record Breaker

the best stuff usually isn't advertized :-)

It plugs into the OBDII port under the steering wheel to do the programming and then you put it away.. It's a very popular box just not advertized as much as everything else.
I will run circles around a Edge and the BD is a nice box but, can't supply what the smarty can. Check the link to the web site I posted above to read more about it.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
triton
Record Breaker

dang ! 30 views and not one person has a smarty ? You guys are missing out :-)

again, I have no monetary gain from this. Just trying to help get the word out about a great programmer and helps those that helped me :-)

Old 11-19-2007, 01:02 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I have no smarty and i feel shame .

Actually, knowing what I know now, I would never have bothered with the TST. I love it, but I would have rather spent the money on the Smarty and added the TST/Edge later on down the road when the rest of the truck could handle it.

If i was able to sell the TST, I would get on that list in a second. So if you know anyone looking for the early TST (sub 5000 serial number) for an 03-early 04, let me know.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
mytowrig
Captain

is the smarty compatible/stackable with an outlook monitor such as edge or BD to keep track of everything? and is it compatible with the '07 5.9? i've heard that some are only good through '06. and finally, how true is their claim that they are undetectable to a dealership? i've read several threads that say nothing is undetectable if they hook up their computers and search for traces... if the answers to these questions are favorable, i'd probably be interested. i'd just REALLY hate to lose my warranty with only 600mi on my truck!![:@]

Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mytowrig

is the smarty compatible/stackable with an outlook monitor such as edge or BD to keep track of everything? and is it compatible with the '07 5.9? i've heard that some are only good through '06. and finally, how true is their claim that they are undetectable to a dealership? i've read several threads that say nothing is undetectable if they hook up their computers and search for traces... if the answers to these questions are favorable, i'd probably be interested. i'd just REALLY hate to lose my warranty with only 600mi on my truck!![:@]
The smarty is a downloader so, it's not stackable with another downloaded like the BD. It stacks great with any fuel or pressure box though. The TST is an excellent stack for it.

It is compatible with the 07 and I believe was the first to do so without issue. I've had mine for a year now and a big reason I bought it was because there was nothing else available.

The claims are correct, I tested it myself. My truck is built so, I have no concern for warranty, on the drive train anyway. I drove to the dealer with smarty installed. In the parking lot, I returned the truck to stock. When in service, I asked if they would look to see what there scan tool says if anything about what might be hooked up. He couldn't see a thing on the ECM. I even still had my TST connect to the truck. There was no trace of the smarty that they could see. Now, I don't think it's totally fool proof. If D/C wanted to find something.... they will. You would have to have something catastrophic happen though for them to go digging for it.

The smarty doesn't have fail safes like some other performance boxes do. They've used the room in the RAM for more programming. Fail safes should be in your head and foot :-)

I think you'd be very happy with the difference you'd see in how your truck drives and responds.

I'll try and bring this thread back to the top every once in a while for a day or two. Once we get several interested I can let you know what to do.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:20 PM
mytowrig
Captain

i didnt mean is it stackable with another downloader/programmer, just a monitor. such as http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...amp;ProdID=458or
http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.as...amp;ProdID=750, but only as far as the monitoring capabilities

Quick Reply: POLL: who here uses a Smarty ? and/or would you like too ?