Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummins diesel trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:21 PM
big builder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins diesel trouble

Hi Everyone.

I posted in another section and they recommended I try here.

I am new to this forum. Looks great.

I have a 1997 2500 4 by 4 diesel. 5 speed. It currently has 300 000 kms on it. It has been a great truck and has done more than it's share of work for me. I am sad to report she is a little sick right now.
It started with progessively harder to start. I had to touch the pedal a little to get it to start. Had to plug in on any nights colder than -10 cel. One day I was driving down the driveway and it just stalled. Then
it was had to start and finally went. I waited a while an then it seemed to drive fine. Now it is very difficult to start. It must b einside or plugged in and even then it is a rough start for 30 seconds or so.

I just had the manifold heater relays replaced.

How do I know that both heaters are working properly?

Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be. The mechanic mentioned it could be fuel pump or injector pump?

So I just drove it after having the new relays put in and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Still hard to start and rough for 20 to 30 seconds or so.

After driving for awhile . It seems to start pretty good.

I am not sure if this is because it is warm or because it has more fuel pressure.?

Old 11-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cummins diesel trouble

when was the last time you changed your fuel filter. . .second is there is another filter right behind the P7100 injector pump that has probably never been changed either.

if that doesnt fix your problem let us know

Old 11-25-2007, 01:08 AM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

Welll you have come to the right place for your question. Many expericened folks here that will help you no problem. Sounds like a fuel problem to me too. Be sure to check back after changing your fuel filters as Drew mentioned. If that doesn't help, it sounds a lot...well exactly like the problem a neighbor was having and one other that posted a similiar problem in the past couple months. Being a rookie and not knowing the injectors situation in the 97, that is the very next thing I would explore. Rumors I have heard is that the ULSD is increasing the number of old injectors being replaced, coincidence?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:45 AM
big builder

Thanks guys.

I did the main cartridge filter right before they put the relays on I will look for the additional filter and change if I find it.

I have been religious with my filters. I change fuel, oil, and air everytime I do a service. Less that 10 000 km per.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 AM
big builder

Drew,

I ahvn't seen another filter before injector pump. I looked in my Haynes manual and all that is mentioned if the fuel heat/prefilter. Could this be it?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is another filter between the main filter and the pump. . .I nearly burned my haynes manuals cause they list all sorts of crap wrong.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:07 PM
big builder

Drew,

I had a look their.

Is it in the fuel heater assembly. This truck is a 97. I think they changed them the next year.

Do I remove the fuel heater/ preheater assemby to see? Is this a replacable filter or do I clean it?
If it is replaceable? I would like to order one and have it on hand to install when I am working on it.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 PM
big builder

Drew,

I cna't seem to find that other filter.

I took the fuel preheater down but I didnt' see another filter.

Can you describe how I can identify?

Quick Reply: Cummins diesel trouble