Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

sounds like rods knocking-dry fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM
dodge55boerne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like rods knocking-dry fuel filter

On 11/24/07 left for Phoenix to pickup my 55 Dodge project truck. My 04 Dodge 3500 has Bully Dog chip, air filter and 4" exhaust. We were pulling about a 3000 lb trailer, chip was set on high. I got 650 miles into the trip and took back over driving,can't explain it but something just didn't seem right. Sound like engine was making a clanking noise, has done it before at odd times and then goes away. About 100 miles later I look in the mirror and seen excessive smoke, figured out it was coming from me. Had cruise control set, go to take cruise off and it would not come off with either tapping brakes or shutting off with switch. put truck in neutral to shut off and engine reved up so I put it back in gear. Running real rough now. I shut truck off and put in neutral. I started truck back up as I was coasting off freeway. Started fine. Running rough at higher speeds we carressed it to next exit and got to a gas station. Popped the hood,thinking it was something with the fuel I opened up the drain to let some fuel out, couldn't hear anything hitting the ground, also I unhooked the chip and went back to stock. I changed the fuel filter before I left on trip and had a new fuel pump installed about 15000 miles ago that Mopar now installs into the fuel tank.(heard from a few sources they have been having problems with these, exspecially when you chip) We babied it to a couple of places within a couple of miles. Still running rough. Was told there was A Dodge dealership 10 miles down the road so we decided to baby it to there and have it checked out. Pulled onto the Freeway, by the time I got to 50 mph it started to run fine, took it up to 75mph running fine, never did fine the Dodge dealership. Picked up the 55 Dodge at approx. 9:00 am started heading home, ran fine all the way home.
Ideas:
Fuel pump can't supply enough fuel for the increased demand.

I'm going to have it checked out by some mechanics this week and check pressures.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:27 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Default RE: sounds like rods knocking-dry fuel filter

Sounds like a fuel pump issue. Was the smoke white??? What you are going through sounds like what happened to me when my original lift pump died.

My in-tank pump is a piece of cr@p. The first one lasted a week, started blowing fuses so I got it replaced. The second one does OK at best. I never saw a double digit fuel pressure reading with it, and while towing I would see 3-4 PSI which is too low for me. I replaced it with Walbro which was much cheaper than a FASS.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:32 PM
dodge55boerne

It was night time and I assume it was because in the rear view mirror it looked like a dusting of snow on the road that moves around when you drive over it. If we replace the fuel pump is it something I can do? And does the old one have to come out of the tank? I was told to get a two filter assembly and a after market fuel pump by some respectable mechanics(You can't find to many of these), but I was strapped for cash and it was still under warranty so I took my chances and had Dodge replace it. They said it probably wouldn't last. I'll have them check pressures this week.
Thanks for your help,
Lance

Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

It is not hard to replace the in-tank pump, but you do have to drop the tank, or take the bed off of the frame to get to it. It you decide to go with so aftermarket pump like a Walbro or FASS, you will have to drill a hole in the top of the tank and install a new pickup tube. I did this and it was not that big of a deal. The aftermarket pickup tubes are only around $30. I decided to make my own with 3/8 aluminum tubing.

Quick Reply: sounds like rods knocking-dry fuel filter