Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lookin at an 08 CTD, couple of questions??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007 | 09:03 PM
beachmstr
Default RE: Lookin at an 08 CTD, couple of questions??

I talked to him today and he said that he doesn't see why you can't. You would just have to start after the DPF as to not throw check engine lights. I also wanted to mention that it won't smoke any cuz of that dpf. But he said he would just have to order the stacks and what not. So give him a call and see what he says. Where are you located?

Old 11-26-2007 | 10:42 PM
spyhawk

Awesome. but why would he have to do it past the DPF? why would the check engine ligh come on? Personally I like the smoke but i guess if it has to be that way then so be it.

Old 11-26-2007 | 11:02 PM
Drew
Professional

the DPF and the regen process works off a differential pressure that is measured before and after the DPF. . .when the pressure difference reaces a certian point the engine dumps raw fuel into the exhaust heating up the DPF to burn off the carbon.

what the DPF elimination kit does is replace everything, but leave the dp orifaces in place. this way the computer sees there is a 1:1 before and after the DPF.

however in Kalifornia you will most likely have to leave it on.

Old 12-03-2007 | 05:35 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

i know this is off topic but i have to say engergizer that i love your truck.
Yeah, it's starting to grow on me too. When I fist got the bumper installed I about crapped my pants! Up till then I had only seen a picture of it in the store. It kinda made the truck look naked in the front. But then once I got the wheels/Tires and then got the fender flares put on it all started coming together.
What I like about it is there are two things on my truck that I still haven't seen on any other. And thats the 5" oval "J-Mark" wheel to wheel nerf bars and the bumper.
So I know that people are either looking at my truck and saying, "Damn that looks good" or they are saying "what the hell is that". Either way, they are looking.....lol
is that bumper a ranch hand or a different brand? thats the same look im goin for with the bumpers and flares and new wheels and tires

Old 12-03-2007 | 07:54 PM
jedrph
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Drew

. .when the pressure difference reaces a certian point the engine dumps raw fuel into the exhaust heating up the DPF to burn off the carbon.

I really don't get this DPF. I understand the filter element to reduce smoke/emissions (if you had to change out at intervals), but doesn't it defeat the purpose if the thing just pumps raw fuel in to burn it off (ie smoke it out the tailpipe) What's the difference?? I wonder if the powertrain uses any of that extra heat produced for a purpose. Seems likesuch a waste. lower mileage, lower efficiency = greater overall impact to the environment. I'd like to see a study that actually looks at the whole picture.

Old 12-03-2007 | 08:15 PM
2008cummings
Professional

I just got my 6.7l and I love it. Yes you can chip the motor and get 100 rwhp. i am new to CTD so not sure how the get all this HP, but remember your starting with more and if you add another 100hp and 200 of tq that would be bitchin..

I love the 6 speed auto tranny.. Plus like anything else mods will come when the market demands it. yes more for the 5.9 but look how much longer the motor has been out then the 6.7. plus the 6.7l is no different then the other Diesels out there so all the aftermarket companies will work on mods.

Quick Reply: Lookin at an 08 CTD, couple of questions??