Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lookin at an 08 CTD, couple of questions??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007 | 06:17 PM
spyhawk
Default Lookin at an 08 CTD, couple of questions??

I am soon going to get an 08 2500 CTD but wanted to know a little bit before I go threw with it. First I am considering the 6-speed Manual, are there any known flaws in eather the manual or the auto? Besides for Drews mix, are there any other ways to improve gas mileage?

now for mods!

I am in california in the Bay Area, and I want to have Stacks installed, does anyone know of a shop that could have them put on? I have searched around and havn't found any place.

and last but not least What are some popular upgrades that people like to add?? any advise??

Old 11-25-2007 | 07:22 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Default RE: Lookin at an 08 CTD, couple of questions??

If your getting an 08 I assume your getting the 6.7???

If so you don't want to run Drew's brew or any other aditives that are not specificly for DPF trucks. W/ the DPF's on the 6.7 your not gonna get stacks on the truck either.

Old 11-25-2007 | 07:41 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

My advice is to find an 07' 5.9L if you can find one. Thanks to all the "tree huggers", the 07' 5.9L Cummins was the last diesel hot rod you will ever see, well legaly anyway.
There is not alot you can do to the 6.7L at the moment and a doubt you will ever be able to do much to it performance wise. Thanks to all the emmissions crap on the 6.7, you will also see fuel economy of about 20% less than the 5.9L's are getting. Not to mention the fact that you , along with hundreds of thousand others, are nothing more than ginni pigs for dodge. It will be a few years before they get all the bugs out and untill then I see nothing but reports of people making several trips to the Dealer with those trucks.
Thats not to say that they are all bad, as you normally only hear people with problems. No one is going to post about how well the truck runs unless they happen to be a regular on a forum like this one.
I am new here my self and I don't see alot of 6.7 owners here. There are some but I see mostly 5.9l guys and galls.
I drove the 6.7l for a week and I can say this, It drove great, had plenty of power, very responsive and the 6 speed auto tranny was smooth as glass. But I am glad I have the 5.9L and if I could do it all over again, I would still be driveing the 5.9.

Hope that helps a little.
If I were you, I would Google "6.7 cummins problems" and see what you come up with. It may very well turn out to be a great engine but like I said, you can forget about perfomance mods with it.

Old 11-25-2007 | 10:33 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

i have an 08 6.7L and like was said before, there arent really any mods you can do to it. theres a lot of different companys offering programmers right now, but it pretty much stops there. i think they are pretty close to figuring out how to straight pipe the truck without throwing engine codes and going into regen mode, i actually read on another forum of a guy who has put 22,000 miles on his truck since straight piping it (6.7L of course) and has had no issues what so ever. ive seen a few people just remove the muffler and leave the rest of the stock exhuast system but since the stock muffler is pretty much a flow-through design it doesnt really change the sound. now one thing that the guy who had his straight piped for 22,000 miles said was that the 6.7 doesnt sound near as good as the 5.9 because of the turbo. and ive heard that from other people also, that the 6.7s have a weird sound when straight piped. i personally have not heard one yet. i wish i had done a little more research before buying the truck but i didnt know any of this new emissions bull**** was going into effect yet. i thought it all went into play in 2010. if i had known then what i know now, i would have had the dealer find me an 07 with the 5.9. even though at the moment there isnt much i can do to the truck, and i may never be able to make it into the 700 rwhp machine i always dreamed of when i wished i had a diesel, i still love the truck, and i think for the majority of the people out there it has plenty of power to do what needs to be done.

Old 11-25-2007 | 10:50 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the 6.7 at all. That one I drove for a week while my 5.9 was in the shop was great. It accualy had more get up and go than my 5.9 due to the gearing with the 6 speed auto. It just felt peppy compaired to my 5.9. If I never planned on moding mine, I might have leaned the other way towards the 6.7 just for the tranny.
But in the end the choice came down to dependability and versatility already established in the 5.9.
It will still be a damn nice truck, which ever one you go with.

Old 11-25-2007 | 10:53 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

i know this is off topic but i have to say engergizer that i love your truck.

Old 11-25-2007 | 10:59 PM
beachmstr

You might want to give Scott at minute muffler a call and discuss with him the option to straight pipe or do stacks to your ride. If theres a way he will get it done and he will also probably have the best price. He's very well known all around the bay. He is located in Dublin. I will attempt to drop in tomorrow and ask him as he is my buddy. I'll see what he says if i can get in there but you can probably reach him quicker by phone.

Old 11-25-2007 | 11:09 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

i know this is off topic but i have to say engergizer that i love your truck.
Yeah, it's starting to grow on me too. When I fist got the bumper installed I about crapped my pants! Up till then I had only seen a picture of it in the store. It kinda made the truck look naked in the front. But then once I got the wheels/Tires and then got the fender flares put on it all started coming together.
What I like about it is there are two things on my truck that I still haven't seen on any other. And thats the 5" oval "J-Mark" wheel to wheel nerf bars and the bumper.
So I know that people are either looking at my truck and saying, "Damn that looks good" or they are saying "what the hell is that". Either way, they are looking.....lol

Old 11-26-2007 | 01:31 AM
spyhawk

wow Thanks! now I guess I have to bee looking for the 07 with the 5.9L. I kinda just figured that since the 6.7L was so new they havn't had time to come out with anything for it but now that I have heard all of this I might just have to get the 07...cuz i have some money set away for makin my new truck bitchin! plus I used to work at Les Schwab tires and I can get there price on a lift wheels and tires! ok so now on the subject of the 5.9L what would you do first for an upgrade?untill I can spend a couple of grand on engine work....

Old 11-26-2007 | 02:28 AM
spyhawk

ORIGINAL: beachmstr

You might want to give Scott at minute muffler a call and discuss with him the option to straight pipe or do stacks to your ride. If theres a way he will get it done and he will also probably have the best price. He's very well known all around the bay. He is located in Dublin. I will attempt to drop in tomorrow and ask him as he is my buddy. I'll see what he says if i can get in there but you can probably reach him quicker by phone.
Awesome I will give him a call. Thank you very much! Yeah let me know what you find out!

Quick Reply: Lookin at an 08 CTD, couple of questions??