Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

smarty or smarty jr??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: smarty or smarty jr??

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

I have a question. If I set it on 90hp with timeing, will I need to worry about EGT's with normal driving? And is there a way to monitor Boost and EGT's without buying a $500 monitor. And If I did buy a Monitor how will it work with the Smarty?
Ok So It's multiple questions not question
1. No, as long as you not on it a lot. You would need to worry about youor trans though. You shouldn't go over 60hp on a stock trans.

2. You can use any monitor or gauges you want. They all hook up independantly for the smarty. It's connects to the OBDII port to do the upload and then you unhook it.

To monitor everything whether it be with a monitor or gauges, your boost will connect to the intake. Just remove one of the bolts and replace it with the boost tube connector.

For the EGT's you'll have to drill and tap your exhaust manifold.

The rail pressure connects to the MAP sensor and Fuel pressure sensor

Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
roadking096
Professional

Hey Bob, what are the HP/ Torque figures for the SO-3 on a 98.5 on the various stages? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:11 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Bob, how about sending me a Smarty to "play" with. As a dealer I am not allowed to suggest programmers. But I can give my personal opinion about the subject, if I am asked. I am not a fan of Bully Dog products and Not big on the Banks. Have not seen any problems with the Edge with attitude. Today a 2004 3500 came into the shop on a trailer. A friend of mine has a shop and this truck belonged to one of his customers. The owner had plugged in a Bully Dog and after the download finished, he said that it gave an error message saying to call Bully Dog's help line. The truck would not crank. They told him to take it to a dealer. The BD had erased the ECM memory. I had the truck running in about 15 minutes but only because I knew a way to figure out the original software version. Without that info, there is no easy way to reprogram the ECM. If I had of had to get a new ECM, the warranty would not have paid for it because when I sent the bad ECM in, they would have know what happened...
David, I plan to come down next week... maybe around Tues. We can install my smarty as much as you want. It would be a first for anyone on any forums to hear that a dealer themselves ( AFAIK ) played with one and found once and for all whether it's detectable. I've already done this but, I know everyone here at least is looking forward to seeing what happens with you. I'm sure Bob and Marco ( the programmer ) wouldn't mind hearing about it too.

If I call you Monday, is that to short a notice for Tues ?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:26 PM
beachmstr

What did you mean about adjusting the gear ratio David? Ty I am interested in the results on your test and also in the post regarding the added 90 hp I think you meant shouldn't run your stock tranny at more than 60 HP increase?

Quick Reply: smarty or smarty jr??