Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Whats your HP and are you running stock tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats your HP and are you running stock tranny?

Ok I don't know if this has been done. But I would like to here what your estimated Horse power is with mods and are you running a stock tranny.
Don't forget to list if your tranny is stock or not.

I have heard all kinds of advice on chipping these trucks and I see and hear lots of you who have modded trucks. Would help me to know what I can do with mine if I knew what tranny the average modded CTD is running.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:25 PM
R0oster31
Veteran
Default RE: Whats your HP and are you running stock tranny?

I suppose this isn't for us that like 3 pedals huh? With the dual disc in there and the NV5600 I figure I'm set, not to sure on how much power she puts out though.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 PM
jakebrake
Champion

I put 262 hp at the rear wheels and 605 ftlbs. Stock trans.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 PM
triton
Record Breaker

you don't want to add any more than 60hp to a stock tranny or it will start slipping. Even if you don't notice it slipping, it is and if you keep getting on it, you'll be in need a TQ real soon.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I'm looking for info from folks with auto's but I'm sure someone can use info on what you've done to you manual to handle the extra HP. And all I'm looking for is a best guess on HP. Like if your motor has 325 HP and you added 100 HP. I don't need to know what your getting at the rear wheels.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: triton

you don't want to add any more than 60hp to a stock tranny or it will start slipping. Even if you don't notice it slipping, it is and if you keep getting on it, you'll be in need a TQ real soon.
Thats the answer I was looking for. How long though for the tranny damage? I mean could I try 100 hp for a Week not getting on it too hard and still be ok?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
jakebrake
Champion

You can add as much hp as you want, just don't put the skinny pedal to the floor all the time. However everytime you do use it your taking mileage off you trans. I rarely ran my box on the 120hp setting and it took about 8-10months before the trans won't put up with it any more. Time for an upgrade.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Ive got a billet in put shaft, Hughes converter and beefier flex plates...dont know the HP other than the estimet my mecahnic gives me, also running a trans temp guage,

Old 12-03-2007, 06:58 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

yea im curious to, i thought a rule of thumb was to not go over 100 hp w/ a stock tranny. i had planned to buy the power puck and sell my xzt which would bring me from 65 horse to 90.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
triton
Record Breaker

60hp is all that's recommended to add to a stock tranny without causing damage. Like jake said... sure you can add all the hp you want but, you better have some restraint on the skinny.

Buzzy, it will be fine as long as you're nice to it. You know you'll be getting on it though and that will eventually take it's toll. You'll start to see the rpm going up but, you won't be moving. The first few times you'll say to yourself... damn, it handle it fine. The next time you'll have that in mind and go for it again.... and you may be fine. One of the times though it just gonna start slipping.

I didn't have my stock TQ in long at all and when it came out, it was more burnt than other TQ's lying around the shop that had 200K on them ! I was running it hard though.

Just always keep in mind..... " if you play, you will pay "

Quick Reply: Whats your HP and are you running stock tranny?