Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

parts/service ( David ) is the man..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parts/service ( David ) is the man..

I wanted to post a big thank you to him for going above and beyond to help with my truck. David, please tell your guys thanks also. That's a great group you have there at that dealership and I enjoyed meeting them. Not only was my window able to covered under warranty but, David was nice enough to have his guys install a new carrier bearing under warranty too.

FYI for the guys here....

The owner of the dealership was walking around with a race jacket on to give you an idea :-) His son who now runs the dealership was ready to race me with his 5.9L mega that has twins among other things done to it including a Smarty. After the head cheese tech took a ride with me in my truck though... he told the owners son he didn't want any of my truck LOL.. I think he was a little disappointed.... he he... he walked out with his chest out thinking his truck was a shoe in :-) Not the your normal visit to a dealer... they all should be so cool. I left him a nice set of black tracks out of the dealership to look at for a while..... he can look at it as incentive LOL :-)

So, we put my truck on the Starscan. We couldn't find any problems with my truck so we started looking for evidence of the smarty. Well, it was found. In smarties defense though... I had also had a Bully dog on the truck at one time which could have been what left the signs. I also still had the MP-8 connected ( but off ) which could have accounted for some of those readings. The tech looking at it ( sorry Dave I forget his name already ) really knows his stuff. We talked about the amount of schooling he's had and it's a lot... more than your typical tech. Because of this... he knew exactly what to look for and where. There where values that were changed that D/C or Cummins would see and know exactly why. Most techs aren't as knowledgeable as he is though and wouldn't know what they were looking at if they did see some of those values.

He dug deep into the ECM with the Starscan. On a basic trip to the dealer though.... that much info would likely not be looked at unless there was a running issue with the truck. Even though the Smarty web site says it's not detectable, whether it is or not.... when you play, you pay.... in one way or another, it a risk you take. Some might get lucky and find a dealership like O'Neal's ( where David works ) that may not care too much about what's done to the truck... ( to a point ;-) and then others get the typical dealer that whins "modded truck ! no warranty for you !"

Dave, I got the window tinited too... you were right, Les is one hell of a tinter.... very **** with his work which is what I look for when someone's going to touch my truck. I plan to bring the wifes truck back to him soon for a complete tint job.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 PM
cujo
Captain
Default RE: parts/service ( David ) is the man..

Good deal. It's a shame everyone doesn't take that kind of pride in their work.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I love guys like that..

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 PM
burban2002
Veteran

Thats awesome there are dealers like that. The ones around here are pretty stereotypical

Old 12-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, If you haven't seen Triton's CTD in person, it is impressive. It is a friggin BEAST. Will try to get some pics of the rubber he left on the highway leaving the lot. I thought about going to get the 'Stang and taking Ty for a ride or lining up next to the CTD. But not long agoI raced a Viper in front of the dealership and later that night got pulled over by 4 cops who had been on the look out for me. My diesel tech (Randy) was impressed too, he even worked into his lunch hour and he never does that. Randy is very highly skilled/trained and he knows what to look for when diagnosing a diesel. Alot of techs have no clue. I have met a few techs here that know their stuff and a few at other dealers but the majority can't even spell diesel....
One thing about mods, it is getting harder and harder to overlook some mods. Now in this high tech age, with the STAR Scan being wireless internet compatible. If the powers that be suspect any mods, they want to "connect" to a vehicle to see the info. There are many indicators if a programmer was added and then taken off. If the powers that be see anything that they don't like, neither one of us are gonna have a good day...If you do have amod that may have caused damage, be honest with the tech and do not have an attitude. I didn't have to replace the bearing on Ty's truck, I did it because he came in with a good attitude. He offered to pay for it and didn't "expect " us to warranty it. Ty has a lift that may or may not have killed the bearing. But he understands that "if you wanna play, you have to pay". I do not demand that my techs warranty anything that may be suspect. It is their and my reputation on the line..If Dodge were to decide that we warrantied something that wasn't supposed to be warrantied, they would charge us back with the repair. Dealers that take one look at your truck and decide that your lift caused the radiator to leak or your winch caused your radio to quit are gonna find themselfs with no customers. I can't help everbody but I am honest and will try my damnest to still have you like me whan you leave.

BTW, Ty I told you that the LES could tint. He did my 'Stang and the wifes car also. Thereare 2 tinters closer to me but they both are just in it for the money and have no idea what it takes to keep customers happy. LES gets all my referrals because of his attitude and his desire to have you happy when you leave. Maybe you can trailer your wifes truck down and get her windows tinted and then we can all ride to Steele Alabama for thse diesel drags we talked about...

Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

Triton that is AWESOME to hear you have just good luck!

and yes, when you stand next to triton truck, you feel like you bout to **** your pants, its HUGE, saw it parked next to his wifes, and you couldnt even tell his wifes was a truck it looked like a little car!....thing is SWEET

parts/service...how can I get an oil dip stick for my truck? napa, o'rileys, and auto zone cant get me one and i broke the top plastic peice off and need a new one? how much do they run for a 2002 cummins 5.9..

thanks...and good to here about the luck yall had!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Parts/Service
Champion

parts/service...how can I get an oil dip stick for my truck? napa, o'rileys, and auto zone cant get me one and i broke the top plastic peice off and need a new one? how much do they run for a 2002 cummins 5.9..

thanks...and good to here about the luck yall had!
I'll PM you the details, I don't post prices here outta respect for the forum.....

Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 PM
triton
Record Breaker

David, please remind me of the event in Steele. Is it at AID ? They're only showing a test and tune this coming weekend. I really wish I had a trailer. It's something I'm working on but, they're not cheap ! Especially one that a mega will fit on.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Parts/Service
Champion

I will find out the scoop tomorrow and let you know....I have been there several times but only as a spectator. PM me your number and I will call ya.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Judging by Tritons description of your dealership it sounds like you are truely blessed to work not onlyWITH,but FOR someone who gives a $hit. That alone makes not only going to work, but also doing a job that you want to do much more enjoyable. You are one lucky SOB Dave !! Unfortuantely many of us work for bean counters and it's impossible to treat every customer as they should be treated. It makes going towork a "job", and doing the job a chore.

Quick Reply: parts/service ( David ) is the man..