Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fuel delivery system

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:00 PM
mwolfe
|
Default fuel delivery system

I became the proud new owner of an '06 2500 CTD quadcab the end of October. After driving the truck for about a week and a half it was dead in my driveway. Had it towed to the dealer and it was determined that I had fuel contamination. After haggling with my insurance company for 6 weeks they agreed to pay the $15k to swap out the fuel delivery system. I should have the truck back by the end of next week. So, what exactly is the fuel delivery system? Also, how common is fuel contamination in diesel trucks?Any words of wisdom in preventing this from happening again?

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:26 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Default RE: fuel delivery system

Man, $15,000.00 seems high for this. The last one that we did was about half that. They replace everything that fuel touches. Diesels hate water. What part of the world are you in?

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:28 PM
mwolfe
|

The estimate shows $12.5k for the system plus 25 hrs for labor. I'm in SW Michigan

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:30 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: mwolfe

The estimate shows $12.5k for the system plus 25 hrs for labor. I'm in SW Michigan
did they at least kiss you when you left the stealership [:@]

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:33 PM
triton
Record Breaker

yeah... I have to agree with parts/service. That's highway robbery !! You could buy a whole long block and build to to competition specs for that amount of money ! I'm surprised your insurance company is even paying for a repair like that. It should be warrantied.

Dodge is quick to blame fuel contamination as it's a easy way to say it's not their fault. I've seen many a post where that was the excuse given by the dealer and that it wasn't covered.

It's always a good idea to use some sort of fuel additive which helps get keep water out of the fuel and also helps lubricate the system. It's very critical to keep the fuel system on the CR's clean. Water can cause rust and you can imagine how bad that is on injectors and every thing else !

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:41 PM
Parts/Service
Champion

The last one that we did was around $8,000.00 total. 25 hours for is just a crock.Its not even that many hours to replace the whole engine..... Heck, you could tow it to Georgia and I could still save you a boat load of money......

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:57 PM
JR 06
Professional

Wow replace the whole fuel system? Thats crazy, we never do that on Powerstrokes and we get people that come in with bad fuel all the time or the idiots who put gas in there trucks. We just pump out the old fuel, replace the fuel pump and any injectors that might have failed as a result and of course new filters, and put good fuel in. Oh and we run an injector flush on it. Never had any of em come back. But I know if it were my truck i would want everything replaced, guess thats another reason not to own a Ford.

Old 12-13-2007 | 09:51 PM
mwolfe
|

They initially flushed out the system, changed the filter and put in new fuel. They had the truck running fine and were ready to send me on my way. Then they apparently got word from Dodge that the protocol in this situation is to replace the entire system. At this point I really don't care, my insurance co. is paying for the repairs and I should have my truck back within a week.

Old 12-14-2007 | 01:03 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Heck, you could tow it to Georgia and I could still save you a boat load of money......
If your insurance company is cutting YOU the check and not the dealer, ^^^^^ THAT is EXACTLY what I would do !!

Old 12-14-2007 | 02:43 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

What kind of insurance is paying your truck repair?The gas stations?

Quick Reply: fuel delivery system