Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
sun coast
16.67%
ats
27.78%
goerend
22.22%
BD
5.56%
other
0%
just looking
27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:40 PM
behindbars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: transmissions

What do you think about me? I do alot of towing fifth wheel, equipment trailers, dump trailer etc, all weigh about 12k. I don't want to drag race or sled pull. Like to blow a little smoke once in a while but I'm pretty conservative.

Think if I got a decent valve body and a TC I'd be okay? If I keep running my stocker till it don't go anymore can I still do thid or did I junk it all? Or is the TC just the weakest link? I don't know the first thing about trannys other than they shift gears and slip.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 PM
finny
All Star

ell from what i heard if you arnt putting to much power over the stock numbers just a vlave body and a tc will do fine. but i am no expert so dont base any desitions on my statement.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 PM
finny
All Star

yah i kinda let this thread slip into the deep abis of past theads. i was wondering, is spending that much money on a auto tranny worth it compared to a manual swap for the same price. i will do some towing in the future and a manual will last alot longer then an auto. but the manual is not as good for racing around town. plus there might always be those bugs you never get worked out in a manual swap. what do you guys think?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 AM
i11m10c2
Veteran

ok might be a dumb question but why run 4x4 launch? wouldent the extra rotating mass slow you down? if a traction issue why not run slicks? just curios going to start running the truck (weekends) at pacific raceway

Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 AM
finny
All Star

lol sorry its been a long night... dont really under stand your question

Old 01-19-2008, 12:35 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

Personally I love the manual transmission, yea a fully built auto might be faster at the track, but honestly is that .1 seconds really worth it to most of us? (is it even .1 seconds or is it just better for bracket racing because it gives you the same shift every time?) In my opinion for just playing around you can't beat a stick, you just have so much more control on snow, gravel, sideways, pulling a trailer, regular driving or whatever else. To each his own, but driving my mom's auto (2500 ext cab long box 99 CTD) especially on snow just makes me mad, especially when the truck is cold, it won't shift to the next gear at the RPM I want it to. When my truck is cold I can get to 55 without ever taking the truck over 1500 RPM or putting more than a 20% load on it (until it warms up a little idle is around 13 or 14% and when it is real cold the first 20 seconds or so will be 23 or 24% at just idle), with the auto it won't shift into OD until between 40 and 45 which is like 2k or something, so you are stuck just creeping along until it warms up. For me I wouldn't want an auto unless it were a minivan or a purpose built drag car that I never drive on the street. But yea, NV5600 with a southbend gets the job done for me. I don't know if I would recommend a swap though, that could get really expensive really quick.

Quick Reply: transmissions