Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

At what amount of miles would you stop looking at when buying a used CTD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Bouncer88
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what amount of miles would you stop looking at when buying a used CTD?

I am curious.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker
Default RE: At what amount of miles would you stop looking at when buying a used CTD?

well i figured about 150,000 they are just breaking in....and i bought mine with 94,000 expecting to use it for ever....and traded in a hemi with just 79,000 for it....my self personally wouldnt buy something with over 170,000 but that is just me...i like to know where most of my miles came from...

Old 12-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Bouncer88
All Star
Default RE: At what amount of miles would you stop looking at when buying a used CTD?

I only ask because I am going to be getting rid of my daily driver for a 1st gen CTD and I have seen so many being sold with about 270k miles in awesome shape and running strong.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

1st gens with anything under 250k you should be good on after a thorough inspection and asking the owner what has gone wrong and been replaced.. It also depends on how old of a first gen too, I beleive the first few years didn't have intercoolers, those help an aweful lot, but the 12 valve motors in them have ben known to go for a million plus miles.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything over 300K on a 12 valve and the engine is in it's prime.

for a 24 valve you have to worry about the injector pump when it comes to high mileage.

HPCR 3rd gens seem to be doing pretty well when it comes to high mileage.

the VE pump on the 1st gens can be tweaked, but it is a bit harder to squeeze big power out of them. the P7100 injector pump on the 2nd gen 12 valves will run well past a million miles as long as they are maintained properly.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a guy with a 2nd gen with over 900,000 miles on it and it runs like a scolded dog. 1st gens are almost bullet proof.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:45 PM
sa1765
Veteran

i see alot of vehicles get junked because everything else is breaking except for the engine. electrical systems...breaks (lines,calipers,booster,mastercylinder)...tranny/x-fer case...any and every bearing...the interior.
i'd say if it looks to be maintained and you are okay w/ replacing stuff more often than you would on something newer (i know, stuff can break at any time)...go ahead, i would.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

i see alot of vehicles get junked because everything else is breaking except for the engine. electrical systems...breaks (lines,calipers,booster,mastercylinder)...tranny/x-fer case...any and every bearing...the interior.
i'd say if it looks to be maintained and you are okay w/ replacing stuff more often than you would on something newer (i know, stuff can break at any time)...go ahead, i would.
+1

[sm=rant.gif]
I've seen people trade in a perfectly good truck because it needed $700 worht of repairs. Let's see which is the best money spent??? $700 to fix a truck or $40k for a new one? Lets see if I can remember what they taught me in 4th grade math??? I think the first option saves you $39,300 if I'm not mistaken.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:25 AM
SouthernStyle

I can't complain too much here about this either...The 01 that I've got Is pushing 180K and it runs just fine...But it's also the 24V CTD, So I'm sure later on down the road I may have a few issues...
The Reason (or so I was told) it was traded in was because of the Steering Gear Box being completely shot....Other than a $200 dollar part (Gotta love it when ya know someone in the buisness) It should end up running for awhile.

It's hard to say on the Diesel when to stop looking....There's AT LEAST 20+ for sale in the Northern Colorado Area All with well over 200,000+ Miles, and out of the ones I drove before I settled on the one I bought, Not a damn thing was wrong with any of them...Buying a used car with high miles is all in your preferance...After readin' about the CTD's (and countless hours of research) I really didnt object to high mileage,....But that's just me

Old 12-21-2007, 05:22 PM
chouseal
Veteran

I bought mine from my father-in-law who put the first 230k on it. I know he used it, sometimes hard, but never abused it. It runs strong, idles smoother than you can imagine, and gets me 20mpg on the highway (even with a light load in the bed) if I'm careful. The driver seat has a tear in it, the bed has seen better days for sure, and there are nicks and scratches all over. Fine with me, since I'm not looking for a show truck. I call it "character."

I fully intend to see 500k on the clock before I consider replacing it. From what I hear, that's no stretch of an accomplishment, and I won't be surprised to go considerably beyond that.

Quick Reply: At what amount of miles would you stop looking at when buying a used CTD?