Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need some CTD info from experienced owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some CTD info from experienced owners

I honestly think that you will get better mileage going with a 3rd gen rather than a 24 valve 2nd gen.

That's been my experience anyway.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I appreciate everybodies feedback. It really helps. I really love the design of the 2nd gen's so am leaning heavily in the direction of staying in those years (Pre-2002). I am also pretty well up on how to work on these 2nd gen's as the 2500 should not be much different than my 1500. It's the diesel part ofthe equation that I am in the dark about.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
finny
All Star

i think the best truck for you would be a 1998 12 valve. it was the first year they came out with the four door and they came with 12 or 24 valve.

if i can suggest somthing i would say go for a manual. you will save lots of money on transsmission repairs.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:50 PM
cookie88
Rookie

how so do you mean in the dark?

Old 12-21-2007, 03:00 PM
UpBranchLiner

I cant believe nobody caught this
ORIGINAL: Kev_n_AZ

hos' I have no dealing with.. Sharx has a HO .

Old 12-23-2007, 12:45 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

The last diesel I dealt with was 16 years ago when I quit driving semi's. Blindfolded, I can pull a gas engine apart and put it back together, but I've never dug into a diesel. Even truck drivin all I did was check it over, didn't even change the oils or filters.

I've found a few 2001 Rams here in Minnesota that I am interested in. THey're priced between 12,900 and 19,900 and mileage between 150,000 and 250,000. As you know, the lower the mileage, the higher the price.

Anybody know of any of those aftermarket extended warranty companies that I should saty away from or you've had decnet luck with? Whatever I do, the truck will have an extended powertrain warranty on it before I leave the dealership.

I used thie forum link https://dodgeforum.com/m_1094898/tm.htmand determined that the truck I should get is another 2001 with the CTD, 4 speed automatic, and 4.10 gears. Based on the info from that link 3.55 gears are gonna leave me wanting more.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:24 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962
I used thie forum link https://dodgeforum.com/m_1094898/tm.htmand determined that the truck I should get is another 2001 with the CTD, 4 speed automatic, and 4.10 gears. Based on the info from that link 3.55 gears are gonna leave me wanting more.
Lets try this again.....my laptop just crashed[:@].

The starter of that thread has a HEMI....not a CTD. I think you would be better off with the 3.55's. I notice you live in Belle Plaine. I go through there once in a while on my way to the in-law's. (Winthrop area) I live just south of Rochester. If there are any trucks in this area that you would like someone closer to take a first look at, let me know. I'll see what I can do.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:42 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

I would get a stick those 47RE autos are questionable.On the extended warranty thing if I were you I'd forget about that and keepmy money.Dealer/aftermarket warranty companiesmake a lot of moneyselling those andseldom ever pay outon one. Theywouldn't be selling them if they did. Now sure as I said that somebody will post a fluke rare story of a time when their extended warranty saved them but for 95% or moreof the people who buy them it's money down the toilet.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:33 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

ORIGINAL: BrianSudokhoi02

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter1962
Lets try this again.....my laptop just crashed[:@].

The starter of that thread has a HEMI....not a CTD. I think you would be better off with the 3.55's. I notice you live in Belle Plaine. I go through there once in a while on my way to the in-law's. (Winthrop area) I live just south of Rochester. If there are any trucks in this area that you would like someone closer to take a first look at, let me know. I'll see what I can do.
I used that thread to drill down into the 2001 and 2002 CTD trucks towing capacity and that's where I was making my decision from. I realize the 3.55's would give me better fuel mileage, but I really want the added towing capability the 4.10's will provide. If I decide, and it would be reluctantly, on a stick, I would prefer the 6 speed and then the 3.55's would not matter.

I appreciate the offer to help. I'll keep in in mind.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:36 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

I would get a stick those 47RE autos are questionable.On the extended warranty thing if I were you I'd forget about that and keepmy money.Dealer/aftermarket warranty companiesmake a lot of moneyselling those andseldom ever pay outon one. Theywouldn't be selling them if they did. Now sure as I said that somebody will post a fluke rare story of a time when their extended warranty saved them but for 95% or moreof the people who buy them it's money down the toilet.
I guess all auto trannies are questionable. I drove a stick for too many years so have a large preference toward the auto.

As far as an aftermarket warranty, I really want it on the engine. Sticking $3,000 into my new 360 Magnum in my 01 was bad enough. $6,000 or more for a diesel will cause my wife to file for divorce. I need to provide her with some piece of mind that we won't get stuck with a large bill, even if it costs me some up front.

I do appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Need some CTD info from experienced owners