Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Brake noise, anyone have it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake noise, anyone have it?

Ok I been putting off asking this question because I thought it was something that could be "Normal".
For the last couple of months I have noticed this noise when I am in gear and foot on the brake like at a stop light. It is hard to describe. I brake to start slowing down then I start to here it then when I stop completely it is at it's loudest. Then I let of the brake to go and the noise changes pitch but doesn't go away. Once I am past 10 mph the engine noise drowns out the brake noise.
The only way I can describe it is like the old power stearing pumps, how they sound when low on fluid but on a much lower scale, not nearly as loud as that. In fact it's not even loud, I can just hear it and I am hard of hearing in the first place. Other than the noise, the brakes work fine, there is a little more "chatter" and squeeking than I like but I am sure that will go away when I upgrade to better pads.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:06 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Brake noise, anyone have it?

I would definately change the pads. could be scored (sp???). I have noticed a noise when I am at drive throughs but that is about it and my pads have a lot of life on them but I am still planning on changing them soon.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:54 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

I have to change mine as well...

i would do pads and cut the rotors...

Old 12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I am still debating on new rotors.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

But how would the pads be making noise if the truck is stopper and not rolling. It sounds like a very soft "Bad Power stearing pump" sound. Or some kind of pump sound. I just find it odd, maybe it's been there the whole time and I just don't notice it.

I am just going to go ahead and straight pipe it, that way I won't hear any more strange sounds!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

how many miles on the pads you currenty have? from what i understand, most dealer pads and some aftermarket have a "whistler" (a little metal peice) that kinda scrapes the rotor and mades a whitle noise to alert the driver the pads are ready for change....

Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I have but loads of pad left. I only have around 8500 miles on the truck. My problem is when it's not rolling, so I cant see it being the pads. I do get a little chatter when I ease forward while braking but thats normal. The noise I am talking about sounds like some kind of pump wining.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:42 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

o i got ya...damn that sucks then!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

I have but loads of pad left. I only have around 8500 miles on the truck. My problem is when it's not rolling, so I cant see it being the pads. I do get a little chatter when I ease forward while braking but thats normal. The noise I am talking about sounds like some kind of pump wining.
Have you checked to see if it the ABS pump running? That is actually a little hydraulic pump but I beileve it should only work when the ABS has been activated (a skid). Did you check for codes, have any lights on the dash? Just some thoughts.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

Have you checked to see if it the ABS pump running? That is actually a little hydraulic pump but I beileve it should only work when the ABS has been activated (a skid). Did you check for codes, have any lights on the dash? Just some thoughts.
No lights, no codes ever and I will have to look for that pump, do you know where it is?

Quick Reply: Brake noise, anyone have it?