Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Are Cummins good for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are Cummins good for towing?

dang DiEseLjunKy you keep writting answers like that and we aren't gonna be able to keep you in the red neck club

Al part of your problem is your looking in OR head north...you'll see plenty of real trucks pulling real loads.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres the thing. . .chevy and fords have a higher rated payload capacity. . .so to stay legal with the law you see more d-maxes and p-strokes. does a dodge do better towing. . .you bet. . .most of the loads Ive pulled I didnt know where there untill I peeked in my rear view mirror.

oh, and there is a spoof on the Cummins. . .Cumm-a-part. to which they dont, unless your name happens to be Ty or Shaun

Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Harley1299

ORIGINAL: behindbars

I tow this like it's not even back there. get 14-15 mpg with it on the highway too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75003/44262DD39943410BBC73AC4B319527CC.jpg[/IMG]
Your post is the first one I have seen with a photo of your Ram pulling a fifth wheel like mine. I have a Pilgrim Outback 35ft. I have only pulled it to the truck stop for weighing. My truck is a 2007 2500HD with the 6.7 CTD with auto. In your opinion how do you think this truck as stock will do on the higway? Truck and trailer weighs 20,040.

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 AM
behindbars

Mines a 5.9 so a little different but it shouls do fine.We're at about the same weight. I cut my muffler off just for sound purposes. You should have plenty of power stock. The 6 speed will probalby make up close to the difference I had with the chip. As long as you got a good brake controller to get it all stopped you'll be good to go. Even with the chip on I really can't get into too much trouble EGT wise. The auto wants to downshift before I start lugging too much and making too much heat. You may want to consider some gauges if you don't have them already. Especially for tranny temp and EGT's. I also added a set of airbag helpers to mine. Probably didn't really need them but they really level the truck out nice and help with the side to side push on bends. Anything else I can help with let me know.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

There's a reason they don't put V-8 diesels in class 8 big trucks. There's also a reason they call powerstrokes powerjokes and duramaxes duracraps. To my knowledge there is no equivalent "jokespoof" namefor cummins. I drive an 18 wheeler mostly east of the miss riverand all I ever see out there in the light duty diesel class earning it's keep towing for a living with an ICC# on the door are cummins rams. The only guys who drive furds and chebbies are weekend heros towing toys or the rare people with an ICC# who wished they'd opted for a cummins. If you're loadedand want to pass furds and chebbies climbing hills effortlesslyget a Ram. If you want an IFS front suspension thatis a joke but rides like a caddyand feels like a cardon't get a Ram. If youdon't like seeing an engine but instead prefer a mass of wires, plastic shrouds, and a nightmare you couldn't possibly wrench onget something other than a Ram.If you want something reliable and proven to run ahalf million miles or more with proper care get a Ram.This from a guy who prefers fords in looks and when it comes to gassers butthe Ram is a fine truck and the cummins is second to none. Nothing pullsbetter than an ISB in the light duty class. Nothing pulls better than an ISX in heavy duty.That's the end of it no more explanation needed...
BOW DOWN TO THE GOD OF DIESEL SMACKDOWN!!!!

[sm=hail.gif]

Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
handymanherb
Banned

And Ford doesn't use the power joke in their 700 series,They put in a Cummins 5.9 or a cat.

But CTD's love to take on a load and run hard all day and think nothing of it

Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

We see a lot of guys down here on I65 that tow for the company in Indiana that makes campers, rvs and trailers. I very rarely see one that isn't a Dodge. Maybe there were a lot of stupid people driving the same day that you were.

I routinely get made fun of by many of the shooters that I travel with for not buying a "new" Ford. I told them that my CTD will have 600,000 when they are on their 3rd or 4th Ford.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

When I go to Arizona in the winter, I can tell you that 80% of the snowbirds towing large trailers have a CTD Ram.
Only people with more money than brains buy the Ferds and Chebbys. Gear heads buy Dodges.
The othersare fancier, but just don't have it where it counts. They appeal to the crowd that buys based on brand loyalty, and looks (ooohh look, that's a pretty color!).

Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

We see a lot of guys down here on I65 that tow for the company in Indiana that makes campers, rvs and trailers. I very rarely see one that isn't a Dodge. Maybe there were a lot of stupid people driving the same day that you were.
Those are the guys with ICC#'s on their doorsI was talking about.See em all the time. Up in northern Indiana where they build bookoos of travel trailersRams areall you ever see up there.Once in a while you'll seea Duramax hauling one.Have yet to seea 6.0 or 6.4 Ford doing the same work.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

dang DiEseLjunKy you keep writting answers like that and we aren't gonna be able to keep you in the red neck club

Al part of your problem is your looking in OR head north...you'll see plenty of real trucks pulling real loads.

What? That's dyed in the wool right there I bleedfuel

Quick Reply: Are Cummins good for towing?