Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Are Cummins good for towing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:37 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are Cummins good for towing?

is this a joke thread? in south georgia, all you see is cummins. ive seen a powerjoke hook up to 2 peanut wagons, fully loaded and not been able to budge them. then the cummins came in and pulled em out with no problem. dont ever let anyone lead you astray... cummins is king.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
al5608
Professional

Nope, not a joke thread. That's what I see towing around here. Well, I will admit, I havn't hook up a heavy trailer yet. Hopefully soon though. I really want to put some weight behind my truck and see how it does.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I can't speak to the GM's or the new 6.4 Fords, But I owned two Fords, one '99 7.3 and one '04 6.0. I have pulled the same camper with both of those trucks and my current truck. The 7.3 while reliable and fairly capable would slow down going up hills on the interstate. In fact on one hill in SC I got down to 45 mph pulling my camper. The 6.0 did a little better it was able to hold about 55 on the same hill, but it was foot to the floor max engine rpm hoping she would hold together driving.My current truck pulled thesame hill in 6th gear at 70 mph and in cruise control without any problem. I didn't tryit, butI beleive there was more on tap if I needed it. BTW I don't tow with the chip installed.That is my experience, NOT what I think or read somewhere!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've put 18k behind mine and pulled it no problem. Never pulled it out of 6th.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:48 PM
KenZ
Veteran

I have to admit, around me there are alot of GM and Ford trucks, and just a few cummins. This neck of Michigan is predominately GM/Ford, due to the amount of GM/Ford plants here (what's left of them). Most duallys I see in the campgrounds are powerstrokes. Kinda funny watching someone pull in with a ford pulling a 30' trailer, grunting,screaming, and not doing much compared to the sound it puts out! I included a pic of what I pull with my cummins dually. I pulled this trailer also with a '99 powerstroke dually, and the difference is night and day. I can do 4 times the work with the cummins and get 4-6 mpg better doing it. I think you see all the fords and chevys because of blind faith brand loyalty. Kinda like harley owners (I'll push my softail before I ride anything else). By the way, the fifth wheel is just shy of 37', weighs around 14,000lbs, and the boat is about 14'. Am I over my gvwr? Don't know, afraid to find out, but I am probably close. Am I to long? Yeah, by about 2 feet so I ain't sweatin' it. So whatever ya' got to tow, just hook 'er up and go, knowing that you area smarter than the duramax/powerstroke guy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35938/80D0B7F6A3FC424CA77B1B7C99445A94.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
reed
Veteran

Come visit Texas, Dodge Cummins are towing big loads all over.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 AM
sddunn2
Professional

That is one sick video !! very nice

Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Dokie
Rookie

I tow over Parley's Canyon. I believe this is about a 11% grade. My 07 hauls this boat at 70 mph. My previous truck ('98 Hemi) would top out at 35 mph. Now this is a Crownline boat, about 5K, not known for being light. I have a hard time remembering that it is behind me and have been known to ask myself who is the jerk riding my a**. Then I realize it is my boat.

[IMG]local://upfiles/77534/A48D5A06914B405CB3514F27A408899B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
nomi449

I agree with everyone else, Cummins are awesome for towing! My boyfriend and I tow vars to the junk yard all the time and the truck weighs in at 7200 LBS and with trailer and car anywheres between 10500 and 14000, and we cruise up hills and everything without any problems.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:13 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I just spent 2 weeks down in the Eugene area and saw a lot of Cummins powered Dodge trucks on I-5 hauling heavy loads. Even while on Hwy 101 New Years day between Florence and Lincoln City and then Salem at least 40% of the Dodge trucks I saw were Cummins powered and had 15-35 ft camp trailers behind them. I will say I also saw a lot Hemi powered Dodge trucks on Hwy 101 with camp trailers behind them. I did notice while I was in the PDX area on Dec 20th and then again on Jan 2nd and 3rd there was fewer CTD with trailers. But out by Wilsonville and also in the Troutdale area I saw more Cummins powered Dodges pulling heavy loads (i.e. working for a living not playing) then any other brand. I also noticed while in the Portland metro area most of the Cummins powered Dodges I saw were what I would call show trucks and a few also looked more for off road use then towing. Also most of the people I talked too over the last 2 weeks in Oregon think a V8 diesel engine is better then an inline six any day of the week. Maybe some day people will wake up and learn that there is more to the inline six then they thought. IMHO from when I lived in the PDX area years ago seeing more of the other brands then Cummins powered Dodges is normal being they use to advertise their brands 10 times more then Dodge did.

Quick Reply: Are Cummins good for towing?