Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
No Experience
66.67%
Ive used it in my Cummins
29.73%
Ive used it in something other than my Cummins
3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Question about Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008 | 12:47 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Originally Posted by miknwv
Okay, I'm gonna see if I can get out of all this work by doing it the lazy way. Can I get a big 50 gallon storage tank, fill it halfway up with diesel, then fill it the rest of the way up with used cooking oil that i get from fat friers at restaurants? Of course, I'll strain the hell out of it first.... Ya think that would work?
sorry have not been active on the forums much anymore. I am the one Steve speaks of. Keep a couple filters and make sure you strain/filter it very well. The source of my oil was advertising it filtered but I took a extra step and it made all the difference. If you are going to be storing it in drums in the garage, What pump will you use to get it out? also I would not mix the two in the drums. What I used to do is when the tank was getting low I would pump about 15-20 gallons of wvo then go top off at the station. also I personally ran 100 wvo from Phoenix Az to Los Angeles California with no problem. Keep a couple fuel filters, latex or nylon gloves, 1 1/8 wrench or socket and a 1 gallon ziploc bag with you (fordisposal of old filter) just in case. If you have any more direct questions on how I was doing it please feel free to e-mail me at jimmydaleo@yahoo.com. I will tell you the pump and filter system I used and it was affordable.

Old 09-10-2008 | 07:46 PM
miknwv
Veteran

I run straight filtered WVO in my tank with no problem. One question though.....how do I clean that nasty stuff out of the containers I'm using? It's so thick, sticky and nasty that even Dawn wont take it off. I need to clean the buckets I've been using but can't find anything that'll break this stuff down. Any luck?

Old 09-12-2008 | 08:38 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

New containers is about all you can do short of having fun with some heat. I was lucky enough that my father in law was a printer (works in print shop) I had/have a endless supply of 5 gallon containers.

Old 09-13-2008 | 08:00 PM
miknwv
Veteran

i've found one thing that works but it takes a lot of work.....fill the bucket with water and dawn dishwashing soap and go at it with a pad of steel wool...then rinse the hell out of it and let it dry. thats about all I've found that works

Old 11-09-2008 | 07:43 PM
Billy D

I get a few more MPG's per gallon running the B fuel(22-23.8 actually) still driving it like I stole it. I still only run B-75-80, that's my best MPG's.

Old 11-30-2008 | 12:22 PM
dkenny99

great thread on biodiesel.. I just join this board. Bad fuel is just that bad fuel. it doesn't if its biodiesel or not. it might mess up your engine. I make my own biodiesel and have so for the past several years. this year my wife got a diesel liberty - runs great on biodiesel I got a used ram - it also runs great on biodiesel at the moment both are running a blend of diesel and biodiesel. this only to the low temps are night. otherwise they run B100. the engines are quieter running higher blends of biodiesel compared to diesel. -dkenny99

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:11 PM
Billy D

I run mostley B(for Billy of course)75 in the 02 and I'm getting 23.5 on the overhead now.I don't make it myself, I know the process, but my farmer buddie is the brains of the opperation, he runs it in all his equipment, trucks, cars. We cart around scarfing up the Vegi. B fuels very corrosive, eats rubber like a mother, it's got a little mo get up n go with the B-fuel. I still run the other junk too.

Old 12-06-2008 | 04:37 PM
dkenny99

the other thing I would add..I think this applies to the biodiesela and WVO blends..make sure you 24v has fuel pressure gauge!.. I went out this morning fuel pressure at idle was 3 psi..driving 1 psi..have you every tried to drive one and not go that low..it was no fun..well I had been putting off adding a 2nd lift pump..today was the day..now its 30+ psi at idle and 27 WOT..now I have the problem the other way..I would like to 15-20psi all the time..with 10 when the filter need changing. tomorrow I fiddle with the new fuel pump I think the pressure valve is stuck closed. should be easy to fix -dkenny99

Old 12-11-2008 | 06:42 PM
alan styles

i started out 2 years ago and based the price on the 55 gallons of methanol and 50lb of lye, takes 4 gallons & 10oz of lye to make 20 gallons @ 56 cents a gallon i dont ad the cost of lye anymore becauseit last so long .of course all prices go up & now its 97 cents, i run anywhere from b10 to b100 with no problems. its kind of scary and time consuming to start but after a while its like driving your truck. google journey to forever ,and have fun. alan 99 cummins

Old 12-15-2008 | 07:46 PM
redneckokie1

my son lives in san antonio, tx. he runs 80/20 mix of wvo/diesel when the weather is reasonable. he has a ford with the international diesel. i haven't tried it in my 12v cummins.

Quick Reply: Question about Biodiesel