Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
No Experience
66.67%
Ive used it in my Cummins
29.73%
Ive used it in something other than my Cummins
3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Question about Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010 | 10:10 AM
jonmac41788

hey guys new to here but just wanted to give my limited 2 cents on bio diesel. I used it 2 times out in vegas when i was driveing cross country with my cimmins. I will say this about bio diesel i noticedthe truck burned twice as much. So for regular diesel the truck would burn lets say 20mpg, on bio it was burning 2 gallons for every 20mpg. That was with a load on the back of 8000lbs. The mpg are just for instance if anyone was wondering. So i tired it with no load on my way back to ct and it still did the same thing. The more i found out about bio diesel it s olny like 25% diesel and mostly water. Running 75 percent water thru there cant be that great for th motor I would imagine. Thats like putting oil in your gas tank yeah it will burn it but its a diesel it will burn anything pretty much lol there lol compression. Yah know. One last thing i did notice the truck didnt reall soot and it had 1/2 the power than normal

Old 04-24-2010 | 08:24 AM
hounds
Rookie

I don't know what you had in the tank but it sure wasn't bio diesel and any bio diesel Ive ever made only looses 3% MPG and power, no more.
There is LESS water in ASTM bio diesel than petroleum based bio diesel, so your reading false and misleading information. SOunds like you had bad NON spec bio in there to me.

Old 05-10-2010 | 11:42 PM
Pete379

Originally Posted by jonmac41788
hey guys new to here but just wanted to give my limited 2 cents on bio diesel. I used it 2 times out in vegas when i was driveing cross country with my cimmins. I will say this about bio diesel i noticedthe truck burned twice as much. So for regular diesel the truck would burn lets say 20mpg, on bio it was burning 2 gallons for every 20mpg. That was with a load on the back of 8000lbs. The mpg are just for instance if anyone was wondering. So i tired it with no load on my way back to ct and it still did the same thing. The more i found out about bio diesel it s olny like 25% diesel and mostly water. Running 75 percent water thru there cant be that great for th motor I would imagine. Thats like putting oil in your gas tank yeah it will burn it but its a diesel it will burn anything pretty much lol there lol compression. Yah know. One last thing i did notice the truck didnt reall soot and it had 1/2 the power than normal
It's not so much the fuel economy that i've noticed as the fact that it'll pull better running on straight no.1 than it will with bio. my ram will pull 15k up a hill running at least 65 (rough estimate my uncle's 12 valve will do it and i've got the H.O. 24 valve) and running bio i'd be lucky to run up the same hill running 35 it's absolutly worthless. I feel for you on the bio though. I didn't look at the pump today when I filled up and i'm running 13 gallons of bio mixed with 18 gallons of low sulfer no.2 and it cost me power and 1 1/2 (another rough estimate) mpg. So yea I'd like to stangle the idiot that came up with the bright idea of selling bio at fuel stations.

Old 05-11-2010 | 09:51 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jonmac41788
I don't know where you got your info on the bio because it is wrong. My dad and I make it every day and we never loss more than 1-2 MPG and have never lost any power in the trucks. we process the oil in a processor and it is acutely a solvent when used so it will clean the engine out so it is not bad for the engine at all. And at $1.25/GAL it is worth the 1-2 MPG loss.

Old 05-11-2010 | 11:09 AM
12valvefatass

Ridiculous to think that biodiesel is full of water! I wish I had a local station where I could buy it. I'm sure the Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel isn't good for my old timey 12v Cummins. I would happily use Bio at a 15 to 25% replacement ratio just to better lubricate my valves and pumps. I'm sure it would also be a great cleaner as well.

Old 05-11-2010 | 12:01 PM
hounds
Rookie

I've made well over 100,000 Gallons of bio and running bad B-100 will clog your filter in a hurray and if not filtered down to 10micron could cause some problems, but other than that good clean bio when mixed up to B-80 has run in my truck hardly any problems. I say hardly, in cold weather it is harder to deal with. I have a 2001 24V HO 6 speed manual. This is one (if not THE) worst year of that truck IMO and even then, with some inexpensive add-ons the truck runs great on any mixture of bio.
However, I have recently discovered that the truck keeps almost all its power and MPG if run on a 70% WVO/30% Petro mixture rather than bio. I think every truck is a different situation as well, so to bash bio diesel in ALL circumstances or instances would not be fair to the bio fuels industry as a whole.
my .02 worth. Just a FYI, I've heard many times throughout the circles that the Ford/International 7.3L and the older Dodge pre 2000 are the best for the higher viscosity bio fuels.
Good luck to all.

Old 08-16-2010 | 10:52 AM
skuzatko
Default 2001 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel mpg

What kind of mileage are you guys getting with these trucks. Ive got an opprotunity to get one. It completely stock, automatic, no upgrades.

Old 08-17-2010 | 08:37 AM
12valvefatass

I have the older Cummins B175 with Banks Power Pack and I seem to get 15mpg no matter what kind of load I have.

Old 08-17-2010 | 09:25 AM
hounds
Rookie

Skuzatko - I'm getting 15-17mph on any bio fuel or WVO blend, maybe 16-18 on Petro. The colder it gets, the larger the difference. This is with an '01 24V HO 6sp. manual.

Old 08-18-2010 | 09:39 AM
skuzatko

You know, Ive researched this stuff for years and have read and heard nothing but good from biodiesel. Burns cleaner,trucks run better. and have heard of mileage increases. For those of you guys that are thinking of making it, good luck, Just be careful of the methanol. Heres to not paying 3.00 at the pump!!!!

Quick Reply: Question about Biodiesel