Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

tire question (no, not about size!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 AM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire question (no, not about size!)

hey all, as i have said in other posts, i don't get to drive my ram all that often. in fact, i finally rolled over 1100 miles just the other day! (i've had it since end of october) also, i don't ever get to drive my jeep, either. i have to drive my crappy '08 f-250 super duty 2x4 where the bumpers almost drag the ground[:@] anyways, is there anything i can do to prevent my tires (rubber) from aging prematurely or dry rotting due to non-use? additionally, is there anything else i should worry about brought on by lack of use (on both vehicles)?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 AM
handymanherb
Banned
Default RE: tire question (no, not about size!)

Give the jeep and the CTD away, we can start a contest

Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
mytowrig
Captain

ummm... hell no!!!! not gonna happen!!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Clean the tires' sidewallsthoroughly with a stiff brush and a decent detergent. Simple Green diluted 1:1 works well and costs less than the dedicated 'tire cleaner' sprays. Dry the tires, then apply a rubber/vinyl dressing that is water based. Good ones include 303 Aerospace Protectant, Griot's Vinyl and Rubber Dressing, Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss, and Meguiar's Hyper Dressing (diluted). Avoid the one-shot tire sprays that contain the super-shiny silicone based gels. They dry out and crack the rubber; plus theynever really dry so the stuff tends to sling off your tires at high speed. Personally, I prefer a satin or slightly glossy look to tires, not the super glossy "dipped in Vaseline" look.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

Protect them from the sun as best you can. Don't let the vehicle sit for prolonged periods. The tires need to be in use to flex them a little bit which brings the natural lubricants in the rubber to the surface. The other thing that is really bad for tires is ozone. Don't store tires near electric motors since they generate ozone when running.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

That makes me have to ask a question on the same topic.
I have my stock wheels and tires in the garage. They are brand new tires and have never touched the road or a vehicle. Right now they are stacked on top of each other with the finish side facing down and a piece of cardboard on top to keep dust out. And they are all aired up to 70psi.
My question is, how long will the keep before drying out or cracking, should I keep 70psi in them, should I store them inside the house where it's climate controled, ect.
I would like to hang on to them but if they are going to rot in 5 years, I might as well sell them?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

I'd get rid of them tires just natuarally break down over time nothing you can do they just deteriorate. Just sold my stock 265's to a guy for $200 he got a smokin deal I think but I just wanted some cash for them while they still look good the longer they sit the more prone they are to cracking then you won;t get zilch for em. If you can;t get rid of them real soon at least put them inside where the temp is about the same. As far as a truck that sits parked for long periods of time I'd raise it up and put the frame rails on jackstands to keep the tires from being flatspotted on the ground. Just enough so the tires clear the ground maybe an ich or so and don't let any kids or idiots around it.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:05 PM
mytowrig
Captain

thanks for your responses guys! i'll do what i can. dieseljunky, not really sure i culd jack them up and keep kids from being around... i live at an apartment complex and i am only there about 10 hours every 7 to 10 days... i pretty much live in a trailer out in the oilfields

Old 01-18-2008, 03:28 PM
behindbars

ORIGINAL: Joel_MD

not the super glossy "dipped in Vaseline" look.
I can't believe nobody else caught that. [sm=smiley30.gif]sorry

Old 01-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Since you can't jack the truck up and take thw pressure off of them, the only other thing I'd suggest is to cover them with tire covers similar to what you'd find on an RV to keep the sun from gettin got them.

Quick Reply: tire question (no, not about size!)