Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:14 AM
apappal
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??

I think you might get your wish, I feel the dow will drop back below 10,000 before its all said and done. Hind sight is 20/20, if I had it to do all over again I would putmaximum allowableinto my 401K when I first started out of college. Just think were you would be now if you did that.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: apappal
if I had it to do all over again I would putmaximum allowableinto my 401K when I first started out of college. Just think were you would be now if you did that.
I hear that all of the time and it does nothing but make people feel bad. The truth is, I DID put the max in as soon as I got a job where 401K's were offered back in the day. I think it was 87 or something. Anyway ... at the time I wasn't making anywhere NEAR as much as I am today, so contributing the max from a 300.00 paycheck didn't really equate to much of a deposit. I don't regret doing it at all, however I don't feel like I'm on top of the world that's for sure. I always tell kids today to contribute the max, but don't sweat what they didn't do prior. Keep looking ahead, don't sweat what's behind you ( unless it the po-po )

Old 01-23-2008, 02:19 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

I'm in the ride it out crowd. The military doesn't have a 401K program, so I figure if I just max out the allowable roth contributions each year and if I can keep at least as much not in a roth I'll be good to go in 20 years. Unfortunately this last year was expensive so it looks like it will just be the roth for 07, silly truck taking things like a clutch, turbo, and orings, and now the ECM might be bad ... dangit, but hey, all the parts had something wrong with them so why not go with a better one right? I think uncle sam will make it easy to save come June though.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
RAMbunkshus
Rookie

Bailing out now makes you a loser. Now's the time to watch for the bottom so you can buy stock 'on sale'. It'll come back, history will bear this out. I'm down about $40k this week, but am sitting tight, you should too.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Check this out ... I just recieved it in an email

[/align]
Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced to the
villagers that he would buy monkeys for $10 each.

The villagers seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to
the forest, and started catching them.

The man bought thousands at $10 and as supply started to diminish, the
villagers stopped their effort. He further announced that he would now
buy at $20. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started
catching monkeys again.

Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer increased to $25 eac h and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch it!

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at $50 ! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on behalf of him.

In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers. "Look at all
these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell
them to you at $35 and when the man returns from the city, you can sell
them to him for $50 each."

The villagers rounded up with all their savings and bought all the
monkeys.

Then they never saw the man nor his assistant, only monkeys everywhere!

Now you have a better understanding of how the stock market works.
[/align]

Old 01-24-2008, 11:39 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: BTCRUZ

Unless you fear your stock to liquidate from the company going bust, I'd sit tight. Recessions and/or decline of economy is normal events. An economy can not continue to get get higher and higher, it has to peak and trough.
Our economy is primarily driven by perception. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to start the chain reaction of lowered confidence in the economy to get things receding. We'll probably go through a recession over this latest round, but we'll also get over that as we always do. The Fed's 3/4% drop this morning is only a bandaid on what seems to be an inevitable recession. The market didn't drop today as much as predicted (because of the early "emergency" action by the Fed), but give it a few days and see what happens. The foreign markets are already declining because of the dollar. Dropping our interest rates here isn't going to change it much. I'm betting the market is going to see bigger drops by the end of the week.

Still, I would just sit tight and ride it out. In another year or two, you'll riding high again.
I've heard some "experts" say these bandaid fixes are only delaying the inevitable and when it happens it's gonna be much worse than if they'd just leave well enough alone and let the market correct itself. Anyhow, my401K and Roth IRA contributions all seem to be dissappearing as fast asIpour moneyin andit burns me up.But I'm only 32 and reckon I'll just grit my teeth and ride it out...

Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 AM
rootercycles
Professional

I've lost a ton! I asked my financial adviser the same question about putting my funds into low interest bonds to "ride out the storm", and I was told the same thing. Keep your money in! By pulling your money, you do save some losses up front, but lose out on the big rebound on the back end. No way to predict when that happens so the recommendation is to keep your money in the market. This is also a recommendation because if all of us "sell off", it stimulates a panic on Wallstreet and even more selling happens. Hang in there....

Old 01-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Quick Reply: Stock Market .... are you ready to pull out yet ??