Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help needed... All input would be greatly appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: Help needed... All input would be greatly appreciated...

Triton is probably right, wasting my time. I was hoping to be able to give info as to how each one differs from day to day driving. I definately feel more torque at the very bottom end (idle-1400~1500 rpms) with the stock manifold... after that, no way... the ats is definately stronger.

the whole point of doing the hill climb was to see if there is a difference in the climb speed while keeping the boost level as fixed as possible. my goal there would be to get in 4th and as low an rpms as possible coming up to the base and then time it up to a given speed or measure the speed at the top of the hill. driving up to work everyday I climb 2800' and get to go up several steep inclines, (none of which would be practical for testing), with the stock intake... the motor struggles a little more in OD going up some of them, ultimately downshifting at some point. with the ats, none of that.

Triton, do you have a spreadsheet for the dyno run you did? if so is it possible to get a copy of it?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, what I posted above was done by someone at another forum. He works with AFE sometimes doing testing. I put an email into him to see if he has a speadsheet or any other results between intakes. I'll let you know what he says.

I didn;t mean to sound as if I thought you were wasting your time. I just don't feel the time is worth it for what you'll find. That's me though :-) The whole thing with intakes is there flow. You can just about look at all of them and see the difference there. Having a big fat intake like the Banks doesn't mean a thing. It's how well it will flow the air. Having a completely smooth interior with a good flow angle is the key. I would put money on the CFM winning hands down over all of them.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

no problem... I'm looking at it from a different perspective. I also have other ideas that the data collected could help with so it's not just an intake thing.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 AM
tonyslaramie
Professional

People use their trucks for so many different applications, one man's gain in power is another man's headache... Someone's test on a intake plenum/manifold may show benificial for an unloaded truck pulling a pass, but what about the guy that is after fuel mileage and idle/off-idle torque? There are so many variables to performance-testing... one of the reasons I can't stand reading most auto/truck magazines. I do however enjoy reading what the end-users have to say about products... so all the more power to you! Have fun with your testing!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Mayfair
Legend

What are all of the extra holes for ... meth injection or something?

Name:  intaketabs.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  62.4 KB

Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 AM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: tonyslaramie

People use their trucks for so many different applications, one man's gain in power is another man's headache... Someone's test on a intake plenum/manifold may show benificial for an unloaded truck pulling a pass, but what about the guy that is after fuel mileage and idle/off-idle torque? There are so many variables to performance-testing... one of the reasons I can't stand reading most auto/truck magazines. I do however enjoy reading what the end-users have to say about products... so all the more power to you! Have fun with your testing!
I totally agree but, you said it yourself. There's too many variables to be able to come up with a accurate assetment of what they can and can't do. What Steve may come up with may be totally different than what other may see. The only reason I mention to Steve I thought it wasn't worth the trouble is because what he's trying to do has been done. Ask anyone who know anything about these trucks and they'll tell you the gains aren't worth the cost. More power to Steve to do his thang though :-)

Mayfair... yeah, the ports are for what ever injector you'd like to use.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Steve, I'm not an engineer but I call on and make suggetions to manufacturing engineers every day. I help them improve their machining processes through cutting tool geometry and parameters. I very much enjoy the challenge of teasing the last once of performance from anything I'm toying with. The problemI can see you encountering is that the testing you are performing is not in a controlled enviroment. Air pressure, density, temp, and humidity levels will all effect the performance of our trucks, as well as the computer trying to compensate for all these things. I have found this to be true in my quest for optimum fuel economy. A base line measurement is not accurate unless it can be duplicated and there in lies the problem. Don't take this the wrong way, because I very much enjoy reading your observations here. Just a little food for thought.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Nick, agreed... the only thing I can do is to perform the testing & data collection early in the morning before traffic builds up and the sun rises too much. at least at that point I can get relatively close environmental numbers. For the most part here, when it's clear out the numbers are reasonably close from day to day.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Triton... if the testing has been done already, do you have any links to the results? (besides the dyno post)...??

Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I'll have to look for the posts. There were a few that tried testing them.

here's something to keep in mind. The guys at BD were doing some dyno testing yesterday...( not testing intakes ). Out of the blue this happen....

Has anyone ever heard or seen a composite intake blow up? Today on our dyno a 12V at 60psi of boost blew one completely apart. It sounded like a bomb went off. Luckily nobody was standing in front of the truck. The hood was open because we were running it on the dyno. Two peices ended up lodged into the ceiling of our shop 20ft up. Must have been a casting flaw as it wasn't anywhere near the ports for the watermeth. Poor tech must have had to change his undies. Just a word of caution to anyone standing around a dyno. This easily could have been very serious.

This apparently is a CFM intake.

Quick Reply: Help needed... All input would be greatly appreciated...