Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help needed... All input would be greatly appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Help needed... All input would be greatly appreciated...

As some of you know I do alot of testing... what you may not know is I'm a test engineer by trade so I can tend to go a little overboard from time to time. However, I want to nail down this ATS vs Stock intake thing to determine where the gains really are and how it will help in different situations (city vs hiway, towing vs everyday driving etc). I'd like to get input from you guys on different points of analysis... one of the ways I've tested mods in the past was to find a hill, start at a known speed at the bottom (rolling start so your in one of the top gears) and floor it till your at the top, then see what the difference is compared to the last setup. with the power of the CTD, that is not practical.

So one thought is to do the same rolling start and bring boost up to 10~15 psi (pick a number) and see where your at when you get to a predetermined point (speed wise)... and measure the time it takes to get there...??? also measuring the egt's on the way...???

Reason I bring this up, after driving with the stock manny now for 3~4 days, the very bottom end (1000 rpm-1400~1500 rpm) seems to have more power than the ATS... beyond that though, the ATS takes over. What this would be pointing to is that the stock manny would be better for city driving while the ATS would be better for everything else.

also, one thing that would be good to have access to is the data on the motor out of the diag port... I believe it'll have the throttle position & speed which could also be used in the evaluation...

what do you guys think?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help needed... All input would be greatly appreciated...

I think you have WAY too much time on your hands!!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

lol probably not... working 10~11 hour days and still driving the 170 miles/day.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Bigriver

Hey Steve, I'm glad that you're part of this forum. To take a piece of the puzzle and break down the pro's and con's is certainly a time and effort consuming task. Not many folks here have the fortitude to take on such a endeavour. I for one, am not that techno savy, and I appreciate reading your reviews and DYI's.

It sounds like the stock is designed as a general purpose manifold, one that suits the bottom end of performance, while still being acceptable for the top end. The ATS on the other hand shines better on the top end.

If what I'm reading is right, then for the best of both worlds, I better pull out the check book and go for broke with a twin turbo to satisfy the bottom and top end!

Thanks again for your contributions!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:53 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

The edge/w attitude tells you what the throttle posistion percentage and the engine load percentage are, like right now withmy truck in limp mode it is hard to get to 40% load.[:@]

Old 01-23-2008, 03:05 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

hey! glad to help! [sm=icon_rock.gif]

I've been looking at one of these for a while now. it'll log data on all the sensors if I read it right. this could be hooked up during the testing on the hill/grade to see what the throttle position is, intake air temp etc... I can then log all of that info and save it for future reference. I just am not sure if it'll work on the diesels.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360
So one thought is to do the same rolling start and bring boost up to 10~15 psi (pick a number) and see where your at when you get to a predetermined point (speed wise)... and measure the time it takes to get there...??? also measuring the egt's on the way...???

what do you guys think?
How about keeping it simple.

Take time measurement from a dead stop up to 60mph and see how long it takes to get to that speed with each manifold, and each setting with your chip ( might as well throw the chip diffs in there as well. )

I don't think I'd be as concerned with the boost #'s or the EGT's as I would be with the TIME. Also, I don't quite understand why you'd want to test it from a ROLLING start. A dead stop I think would be more appropriate preferrably on flat ground. You can run the same tests again if you'd like on a hill, but do the test the same way.

Whadda ya think?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

That would test WOT performance gains and that's fine if that is what you're after.

Most of us don't spend much time at WOT, we drive at a much lower power setting. Testing for gains at part throttle takes patience. A data logger like Steve is talking about is probably the best way to get empirical data to substantiate the "butt dyno". IMO, the best mileage comes from the lowest EGT and boost PSI at a given speed to measure part throttle gains. The intake that provides the lowest EGT and boost PSI at a given speed on a given stretch of road would be the best daily driver. The intake that provides the quickest time from 0-75MPH would be the best for max power. Keep in mind that performance and mileage may require different manifolds.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 PM
triton
Record Breaker

Steve, your efforts are appreciate but, I doubt it's worth it. The gains ( if any ) you will see are going to be very slim. A I said about the 3 intakes I used....the turbo " may " spool a little quicker but, as for mileage gains.... don't count on it.

Here's some info about the AFE's new intake......

Name:  xsectionafe.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  intaketabs.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  62.4 KB

Dyno test,stock fueling,air flow improvements only.AFE stg2 ans AFE cat back2nd gear 15k simulated load,37" Toyo Mt's

Name:  BobGoodwin5-18-07.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  77.6 KB

as you can see.... there is a little gain over a stock intake but, for what these intakes cost.... it's not enough of a gain IMO. There's a lot of other things that can be done to improve mileage and performance. Plus, as you questioned, the results will be different every time unless you have a strickly control test environment.

Good luck with your testing dood, with all those hours you work... I don't know why you bother :-)

Old 01-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I hear what you are saying. How about if you leave the lineand kept the RPM's at say 2000. Then you would test how long it took you to get to 60. Would that work?

Quick Reply: Help needed... All input would be greatly appreciated...